Is it possible to load 147 grain subsonic?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

GeneralPurpose

Is it possible to load 147 grain subsonic?

Post by GeneralPurpose »

I just picked up an AAC Handi-Rifle, .300BLK, 16" barrel. I already have a 762-SDN-6 for it, and I have about 1,000 147 grain .308 bullets sitting around. I know it probably wouldn't be possible to cycle an AR15 with subsonic 147 grain, but since I'm only using it for this Handi Rifle, would it be possible to safely load up 147 grain subs?

If so, does anyone have a good powder recommendation?
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: Is it possible to load 147 grain subsonic?

Post by Whole Bunches »

This is out of my AAC Micro7 16" bolt action rifle:

5.0gr WC231
Formed LC brass
Wolf/Tula KVB223M primer
No crimp
No anneal
Pulled M80 bullet
2.16" oal
1056 average fps
Gemtech Quicksand suppressor

Fine accuracy at the 34yd plinking range. I've not shot it farther away.

I've not shot it out of my Handi Rifle.
GeneralPurpose

Post by GeneralPurpose »

Excellent to know that it can be done, that'll save me a ton on subs. Thank you. If anyone else has a working recipe, by all means please post it.
armed_zebra
Silent But Deadly

Post by armed_zebra »

Is there any reason that you couldn't load a 147 to be subsonic out of a single shot rifle? or bolt action? It is my understanding that it is quite easy to load ANY bullet to subsonic speeds in either a single shot or bolt action, is it not? I thought problems only came from light subsonics when loading for a semi/full auto rifle.
Silence can not be misquoted.
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

armed_zebra wrote:Is there any reason that you couldn't load a 147 to be subsonic out of a single shot rifle? or bolt action? It is my understanding that it is quite easy to load ANY bullet to subsonic speeds in either a single shot or bolt action, is it not? I thought problems only came from light subsonics when loading for a semi/full auto rifle.
It can be done with the right powder selection
wrong powder selection and just reducing charge weight can be dangerous
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
Scruffy

Post by Scruffy »

Would a powder and charge that runs 147gr FMJ subsonic in 9mm (9x19) be a reasonable approach for work up, or would case volume differences be too great?

Ken
yondering
Silent But Deadly

Post by yondering »

Scruffy wrote:Would a powder and charge that runs 147gr FMJ subsonic in 9mm (9x19) be a reasonable approach for work up, or would case volume differences be too great?

Ken
For heavier bullets, I've found a strong correlation between full power 45 ACP data and 300 Blackout subsonic data, with the faster pistol powders. (Unique, 231, etc). I don't know if this holds true with lighter bullets though. 9mm subsonic data would be a little weak, in most cases, and risk sticking a bullet in the bore.

Remember to WORK DOWN, not up, in powder charge when developing subsonic rifle loads with jacketed bullets. With cast I work up as usual.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I have used in the 150 gr range... 231, Unique, and American Select in the micro seven. At that weight no powder out performs American Select. At 190+ i switch to Unique or LilGun as A.S. is to fast. I switched from 231 to American Select... I now use the 231 for my 147 gr 9mm loads.

AS is bulky flake fast shotgun powder. I got 8 lbs of it for my CAS (cowboy action) 44 mag sub sonic loads. Shot thousands, and had lots left over when I quit the CAS game. It's now my favorite BLK sub load powder for the 150-190 range. Trail Boss for light bullets. It's the only powder i can get to work with the 90 gr XTP
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
2brick

Post by 2brick »

I know this thread is old but I almost got my answer in this thread so...
I got 500 free Speer Grand Slam 30cal 150gr bullets from RCBS and I have 8lbs of Unique and a few bottles of Trail Boss. I want to load some subs for my 300blk Handi-Rifle w/Osprey 45 can, I'm new to reloading and have been googling my rear off. Anyway can someone give me a starting point on how many grains of Unique or would TB be a better powder or should I get a different powder?
I do not have a Chronograph yet, should I order one first? I don't want to over pressure my Osprey.

Any load info on 150gn subs in 300blk will be greatly appreciated and Thank you in advance :mrgreen:

and by the way love this site, lots of great info!
sranch
Silent But Deadly

Post by sranch »

Trail Boss should be good for all single shot use. I didn't see your gun info but the depending on your gas block you may be able to cycle that grain bullet with Accurate 1680 powder.