Power Pro 300 MP Load Data

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Alien
Silent Operator

Re: Power Pro 300 MP Load Data

Post by Alien »

Sig220 wrote:Alien, apoligy accepted.....and thanks for clarifying everthing. I will offer an apoligy as well.

Now, even though I am away from home I found some 125 sp at midsouth shooter supply.....do you think we can come up with some load data on that round before I get home? :) Really, I have them ordered and plan on working a load up for them!!
As usual for me this will not be a rushed job, they (the load ) must be safe, accurate and hopefully fast. Figure these projectiles should be in later next week, so I will be looking at others experiences until then.
The Sierra 125gr Pro hunter??

If you order those then I have some data, but it is one of those that I am working on now. My work is really working me over and I have not had anytime to go to the range. I have an ammo box half full of loads I need to go fire off and of coarse i get busy with work. Happens every time :cry:
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Alien wrote:
Sig220 wrote:Alien, apoligy accepted.....and thanks for clarifying everthing. I will offer an apoligy as well.

Now, even though I am away from home I found some 125 sp at midsouth shooter supply.....do you think we can come up with some load data on that round before I get home? :) Really, I have them ordered and plan on working a load up for them!!
As usual for me this will not be a rushed job, they (the load ) must be safe, accurate and hopefully fast. Figure these projectiles should be in later next week, so I will be looking at others experiences until then.
The Sierra 125gr Pro hunter??

If you order those then I have some data, but it is one of those that I am working on now. My work is really working me over and I have not had anytime to go to the range. I have an ammo box half full of loads I need to go fire off and of coarse i get busy with work. Happens every time :cry:

Yep, yep that is the one I have set my hopes on for a hunting round. Checked shipping and they should be in Tuesday. A bud sent me a hand full of speer 110gn but I just dont trust them...have better hope in the Sierra round. With favorble winds, I should be back in my ao by Sunday. Hoping work does not become a problem and I hope yours gets better!!
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

My last set of test loads that have been shot were as follows. 19.2 300-MP, 1.954 OAL, 1.476 comparator, Avg. 2210 ES 91 SD 33. This load was less than 1" @ 100 yards no ejector marks, just the typical flattening of the primer. I use the BR4's on these loads with Hornandy and Remington 300 blk brass. (16" carbine 1 in 7)

I have 3 sets of 10 loaded at 19.3, 19.4, and 19.5 same OAL and comparator from above that I am sitting on waiting for a chance to go fire them off. I am thinking that the 19.4 should be the sweet spot for me with lower ES and SD numbers. I do not think I can get the speed above 2250 without showing ejector swipes.

Another bit of information for you, the three powder lots that I have went through are all different in that they have shown much lower FPS in loads from my original starting lot. So there is a chance it could swing the other direction. The typical 10% may be a much as 15% or more between lots. So use this load as a reference and use caution please.
Chedr
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chedr »

Alien wrote:My last set of test loads that have been shot were as follows. 19.2 300-MP, 1.954 OAL, 1.476 comparator, Avg. 2210 ES 91 SD 33. This load was less than 1" @ 100 yards no ejector marks, just the typical flattening of the primer. I use the BR4's on these loads with Hornandy and Remington 300 blk brass. (16" carbine 1 in 7)

I have 3 sets of 10 loaded at 19.3, 19.4, and 19.5 same OAL and comparator from above that I am sitting on waiting for a chance to go fire them off. I am thinking that the 19.4 should be the sweet spot for me with lower ES and SD numbers. I do not think I can get the speed above 2250 without showing ejector swipes.

Another bit of information for you, the three powder lots that I have went through are all different in that they have shown much lower FPS in loads from my original starting lot. So there is a chance it could swing the other direction. The typical 10% may be a much as 15% or more between lots. So use this load as a reference and use caution please.

Which projo? 110 Speer... 125 Sierra PH?
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

125 grain Sierra Pro Hunter.
DeanD1

Post by DeanD1 »

Alien wrote:My last set of test loads that have been shot were as follows. 19.2 300-MP, 1.954 OAL, 1.476 comparator, Avg. 2210 ES 91 SD 33. This load was less than 1" @ 100 yards no ejector marks, just the typical flattening of the primer. I use the BR4's on these loads with Hornandy and Remington 300 blk brass. (16" carbine 1 in 7)

Have you tried changing the OAL at all for these loads? If so did it have any effect on your grouping at 100yds? I have quite a few of these at home just waiting to get back stateside in the next few months before I can start the loading process. Also what primers are you using(never mind just re-read BR4's).
Last edited by DeanD1 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Thanks for the info Alien!!

My 125gn's are still a day or two away, but on my trip last week I picked up some Winchester 110fmj round nose...basically a carbine projectile. I took 9 total round to the range today loaded up with 3 different charges of powder. After reading on the board member's experiences being not so good with them, I was prepared to be disappointed.

I was not!! They fed fine from a PMag, (only loaded 3 at a time though) and worked the action nicely. At 25yards, one set would have 2 almost touching and 1 out making them about a 1 inch group. (EDITED TO ADD: This 3 shot group actually measured out to be .565 center to center, much better then I initially thought!!)
I will have to work on these with COAL to see what works best for my rifle. Another plinker round could be added, though!! I added a very light crimp with the Lee to keep these from being shoved back in the case and it appeared to work.

As I experiment more, I will add my load for them.....just want more then 9 rounds downrange before putting the info out!!

***As always, load for your rifle and equipment. Don't assume a safe load in someone else's rifle will be safe in yours. Our rifles are different as is our reloading equipment, techniques and even our measuring devices!! Stay safe!!***
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Wow, what a lousy week of weather.

Anyway, braved the overcast and went to the range with the Sierra 125gn Pro's. Had 3 different powder charges with three rounds each at the different charges for 9 rounds, Had also loaded up 3 Rem 150gn Corelokt, 3 Speer 130gn HP's I had found from years past and a batch of the Win 110fmjrn. No chrony data due to the weather, but all rounds functioned fine from my rifle with lockback and no excessive pressure signs.

I was really impressed with the accuracy of the Sierra's all three groups punched 2 shots in one hole and one adjacent to it. Just need to work up from my initial loads to build up the fps.....with the chrony and keep the accuracy and it will be a great load. The 3 Speer's grouped nicely as well, the Corelokt's with a unk history.....probably 2nds did okay but need more attention and the 110gn fmj rn fed and fired fine even when loaded to 10 in the magazine. Accuracy while not as good as I would like, still would make for a fun cheap shooter.

Not going to post any loads yet, as it is still a work in progress.....and a big thanks to Alien for giving us some info on his work and experiences.

Now for the caveat......over the last few years, I have needed over the counter "reader" glasses to read and see small items up closer. Guess its a sign I am not getting any younger :( Anyway, noticed some blurriness when looking through a scope at a target in the recent past and thought it was a scope problem (needed focusing) but inadvertently found that while looking through my "readers" that the scope focus was clear!! Which means I now need the reader's to shoot with...:(

Another fun experience as we grow older, I guess. Maybe my shooting will improve now!!
Alien
Silent Operator

Post by Alien »

DeanD1 wrote:

Have you tried changing the OAL at all for these loads? If so did it have any effect on your grouping at 100yds? I have quite a few of these at home just waiting to get back stateside in the next few months before I can start the loading process. Also what primers are you using(never mind just re-read BR4's).
Yes I did change OAL. I started out with a 2.021 and the grouping was 3", I started moving the seating depth down and the groupings improved. I know it is short but that OAL is what shoots accurate in my Barbie, yours may differ. Also note I am not finished with the round it is still a work in progress.
DeanD1

Post by DeanD1 »

Alien wrote:
DeanD1 wrote:

Yes I did change OAL. I started out with a 2.021 and the grouping was 3", I started moving the seating depth down and the groupings improved. I know it is short but that OAL is what shoots accurate in my Barbie, yours may differ. Also note I am not finished with the round it is still a work in progress.
Absolutely agree with the numbers as that is still a work in progress. OAL has perked my interest the most as it is very subjective due to the difference in tool's used to measure it with. Your info will be a good starting point for me to work my own load from. I do appreciate the info you have given, and look forward to seeing your results! I will also add that I have some 125 Nosler boat tail green tips to play around with also. :mrgreen: