what is the best all around subsonic load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

jackson
Silent Operator

what is the best all around subsonic load

Post by jackson »

looking for the best sub load for 16'' can be hand loaded or store bought.
darr3239
Silent But Deadly

Re: what is the best all around subsonic load

Post by darr3239 »

Remington makes a factory subsonic, and AAC lists a preferred sub load.
"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

For a bolt or Gas gun?

The loads that perform the best in my gas gun, accuracy and low sound, will not cycle an AR.

So more info.. also hard or soft targets? Or just paper punching?
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

Whatever works in your rifle IMHO.

Best for what anyway?

Quietest, best expansion, most accurate?

You need objective criteria before any real reply is responsive.
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
eracer
Senior Silent Operator

Post by eracer »

There are a number of loads out there, both published and submitted on internet forums.

Try them out in your gun, and see what it likes best.

Then you'll have your 'best load.'
jackson
Silent Operator

Post by jackson »

john 'it would be for an ar15 an hard targets.thanks
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

jackson wrote:john 'it would be for an ar15 an hard targets.thanks
It used to be the 208 A-Max was the best $ for a AR functioning jacketed bullet. Any 200+ gr jacketed bullet should cycle the AR. The 208 A-Max over about 11 gr of A1680 will cycle and is accurate for most people in most AR's you may need to taylor the load a few .1 to get is at the 1020 FPS goal.

The Missouri cast 245 gr bullet is working well for many but some are not wanting to shoot lead in the AR. Also you need to heavily chamfer the case mouth to seat w/o ripping off a lot of lead. do it once and you are set. I have a few 1000 cut for lead bullets. 10.85 gr of RL-7 with Rem 7 1/2 primers in a 16" is about right. They seem to shoot OK in my PSA upper. they feed, the hit hard. I am finding a lot fo variations in primers. Popped in some CCI that were on sale and OOPS CRACK! my FPS average went up close to 100 fps.

If 220 SMK were the same price I would use them... But... usually I can get the A-max 208 for less and have "stuck" with that for paper, steel, and even soft targets as the length is longer than the cast so it may cut a wider channel if it goes sideways. But the Missouri Cast 245 has a big flat point that will help it work on soft targets. Until we get a nice XTP expanding bullet made to expand at 850 fps the bigger the better.

Hornady could just make that 90 GR .309" XTP longer, modify the Ogive a tad, making it 210-225 gr and it would be just FINE.

I am now only getting 208 A-Max and the Lead bullets for subs. For supers.. 125 gr Speer TNT. (the 2 boxes of Barnes black tips I have for any hunting will last years) I have a ton of plinking bullets. Pulled Ball, and a lot of 180 gr blems.

But for sighting in and range cards.. the 208 + 245 gr Lead.. Then the 125 gr TNTs If I was to have just two, the 208 A-Max and 125 TNT, & I would use A1680 and 296/H110
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

JohnInNH wrote:
jackson wrote:john 'it would be for an ar15 an hard targets.thanks
It used to be the 208 A-Max was the best $ for a AR functioning jacketed bullet. Any 200+ gr jacketed bullet should cycle the AR. The 208 A-Max over about 11 gr of A1680 will cycle and is accurate for most people in most AR's you may need to taylor the load a few .1 to get is at the 1020 FPS goal.

The Missouri cast 245 gr bullet is working well for many but some are not wanting to shoot lead in the AR. Also you need to heavily chamfer the case mouth to seat w/o ripping off a lot of lead. do it once and you are set. I have a few 1000 cut for lead bullets. 10.85 gr of RL-7 with Rem 7 1/2 primers in a 16" is about right. They seem to shoot OK in my PSA upper. they feed, the hit hard. I am finding a lot fo variations in primers. Popped in some CCI that were on sale and OOPS CRACK! my FPS average went up close to 100 fps.

If 220 SMK were the same price I would use them... But... usually I can get the A-max 208 for less and have "stuck" with that for paper, steel, and even soft targets as the length is longer than the cast so it may cut a wider channel if it goes sideways. But the Missouri Cast 245 has a big flat point that will help it work on soft targets. Until we get a nice XTP expanding bullet made to expand at 850 fps the bigger the better.

Hornady could just make that 90 GR .309" XTP longer, modify the Ogive a tad, making it 210-225 gr and it would be just FINE.

I am now only getting 208 A-Max and the Lead bullets for subs. For supers.. 125 gr Speer TNT. (the 2 boxes of Barnes black tips I have for any hunting will last years) I have a ton of plinking bullets. Pulled Ball, and a lot of 180 gr blems.

But for sighting in and range cards.. the 208 + 245 gr Lead.. Then the 125 gr TNTs If I was to have just two, the 208 A-Max and 125 TNT, & I would use A1680 and 296/H110
Popped in some CCI that were on sale and OOPS CRACK! my FPS average went up close to 100 fps.
What primer had you been using and what CCI Primer was it you used and got the extra 100 fps?
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
jackson
Silent Operator

Post by jackson »

john,is there any problems shooting any of these loads thru my suppressor.i will be using a gemtech hvt or a trident 9.looking to not get any baffle strikes.thanks for all your help.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Win Small Rifle
Rem benchrest 7 1/2

The CCI that upped my FPS considerably were CCI 400 Small Rifle Primers.

In my testing the Win small PISTOL gave me a 20 fps or so increase over the Win small Rifle Primers which had me interested...

But this CCI primer difference is a lot more than I expected! I got them on sale for 1/2 off. Normally I just use Win std Rifle/Pistol primers.

Pistol primers work well in Subsonic loads as they show pressure differences easier than rifle primers. (in the bolt guns, but may cause problems in an AR with the floating firing pin??) I have not had any problems. I just do NOT use pistol primers in my Supersonic loads.