Hodgdon Lil'Gun Load Data Only ***5 Best Loads Page 16*****

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hodgdon Lil'Gun Load Data Only ***5 Best Loads Page 16*

Post by Maryland_Shooter »

The more the merrier!
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Post complete and accurate info when inquiring about loads, or be ignored.
Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

BTT
When I go to bed a law abiding citizen and wake a felon, by the stroke of the legislative pen, tyranny has arrived.

Maryland_Shooter
Silent But Deadly

Bump

oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

Hi ya'll.....I will have my rifle built by next Wednesday, 16" barrelled DS Arms upper, 1:8 twist, carbine length gas system. I reload for all my firearms past and present. I have been reading this forum a bunch to get me ready for the 300BLK.
I picked up my Lee 3 die set for 300aac blackout today and my case length gauge will be here Saturday morning.
I only have 40 rounds of commercial ammo and using it more as a physical template but want to start cranking out some pulled 147gr rounds to learn about the rifle with. I also picked up a pound of Lil' Gun, I have 3/4 pound of H110 and I only use CCI#41 primers. Which powder would you go with. I picked up the Lil' Gun for the 300aac blackout. I use H110 for 45long colt, plus quite a few other powders 4198, longshot. I am not home till tomorrow so I cannot remember all of them. Which one would you use and would you load up Super or Sub to break in my 300 barrel. Thank You!!! :P
NRA, Oathkeepers, USMC 75-79
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
justinope

Post by justinope »

Heres a message I got from someone else using those MBC bullets with good effect:

"The most accurate load with my 16" barrel using the Missouri cast 245 gr. bullet is Winchester Small Rifle Primer / 10.5gr. of A1680 / COAL of 2.155"

So I'm not sure how to translate that into Lil' Gun terms but he isn't powder coating them and getting 1.5 and under MOA. Granted his barrel is longer but I've always been told that only helps with velocity, not accuracy.

(I would have continued our convo in PM's but its broked)
SifuGun

Re: 2 dumb Carbine questions...

Post by SifuGun »

Westerly wrote:shane..." I tried to no end to load subs with lil gun in a 16 inch carbine length . I shot them suppressed and not . it just wouldnt work . I switched to 1680 for the sub loads and hornady 225grn and outlaw state 220s run like a sewing machine."

I found some Lil' Gun locally in these lean times. They guy wants $120 for 4 lbs. My goal is to get this M&P15 to shoot: 200, 220 or 230 grain bullets subsonicaly and cycle the action. Sounds like I'd be stuck with what amounts to a lot of good "carbine" supersonic powder, (A.KA. excellent .410 shotgun powder).

Q-1) Anybody got a crystal ball? Is A1680 coming back in the next weeks or months? I'd like to hold out for the 1680 (but I am tired of screwing around with leftover scraps of Alliant 2400 and IMR-4227 onhand from magnum pistol loads and the Lil' Gun powder is call out to me). Better a bird in the hand?).

Q-2) This may be a REALLY dumb question. Since pistol gas system length seem to be the prerequisite for reliable subsonic cycling (or A1680, apparently), and an SBR is as much of a PITA to get as a silencer, why couldn't a numbskull like me with a carbine:

I also had some trouble cycling subs in ar 15 300 bo 16" carbine gas. Bottom line to make work is to drill out gas port to. 125" thats it. I use imr4198, 10.5 grains works great under a 225 gr hornady.

- drill a new hole at pistol length.
- tap and plug the old one.
- get a new pistol length gas tube
- and still have a non-NFA 16" rifle barrel.

What am I missing! Something glaring, no doubt. I'll have to crawn under a rock, when it's explained to me.
certifiable
Silent But Deadly

Re: 2 dumb Carbine questions...

Post by certifiable »

Not sure if you have a ? but check here if you do

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=84405

Pics should be viewable shortly
SifuGun wrote:
Westerly wrote:shane..." I tried to no end to load subs with lil gun in a 16 inch carbine length . I shot them suppressed and not . it just wouldnt work . I switched to 1680 for the sub loads and hornady 225grn and outlaw state 220s run like a sewing machine."

I found some Lil' Gun locally in these lean times. They guy wants $120 for 4 lbs. My goal is to get this M&P15 to shoot: 200, 220 or 230 grain bullets subsonicaly and cycle the action. Sounds like I'd be stuck with what amounts to a lot of good "carbine" supersonic powder, (A.KA. excellent .410 shotgun powder).

Q-1) Anybody got a crystal ball? Is A1680 coming back in the next weeks or months? I'd like to hold out for the 1680 (but I am tired of screwing around with leftover scraps of Alliant 2400 and IMR-4227 onhand from magnum pistol loads and the Lil' Gun powder is call out to me). Better a bird in the hand?).

Q-2) This may be a REALLY dumb question. Since pistol gas system length seem to be the prerequisite for reliable subsonic cycling (or A1680, apparently), and an SBR is as much of a PITA to get as a silencer, why couldn't a numbskull like me with a carbine:

I also had some trouble cycling subs in ar 15 300 bo 16" carbine gas. Bottom line to make work is to drill out gas port to. 125" thats it. I use imr4198, 10.5 grains works great under a 225 gr hornady.

- drill a new hole at pistol length.
- tap and plug the old one.
- get a new pistol length gas tube
- and still have a non-NFA 16" rifle barrel.

What am I missing! Something glaring, no doubt. I'll have to crawn under a rock, when it's explained to me.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

"Hornady does state in there latest edition that w296 and h110 are different as well. So hornady must know something we don't!" Don't show this to Robert! LOL.

RE Cast bullets in AR.... Lead in Silencer, gas system, and BCG? My Mystic is OK to clean but my BCG is a PITA to chip the lead out of.. can't imagine what's going on in the gas tube... I only now shoot jacketed in the gas gun..(with a few exceptions) I wish a cost effective plated bullet would come out in a 210-230 gr not a 240 or heaver. I remember Robert saying this may happen someday.

I do have some tail wag with the Missouri cast bullet with Unique.. Now hearing some others do to. Can't find the posts but some are supposed to be here someplace.

At a members request I tested different powders and twists and found that yes, much to my suprise.. the 6 gr Unique load (at 996 fps average in my 16") did not punch even holes in my 1:8 twists.. BUT My Lil Gun loads at a few FPS LESS were stable in all my rifles 1:8 and 1:7.. makes no sense to me. I had not used Unique but LilGun so had not seen this.

In the Handi with the 1:7 I'm OK but the 1:8 has tail wag. I shoot all my cast through my Mystic which is a 358+ bore for the tests... The members results were actually SIDEWAYS in the paper. His rifle was a 1:8 16" bolt gun...

FYI LilGun loads were very accurate in my AR (no cycling naturally) but I don't like cast in may AR.

Crazy stuff. Thinking more n more that the 1:7 is a better mousetrap for subs

New info: tried 10.5 gr of A1680 and got 975 FPS in my Handi 1:7 twist .. more info later. will try for stability and in AR. Still lime my LilGun load the best. the A1680 was LOUD!
Last edited by JohnInNH on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
oneyeopn
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oneyeopn »

So I have been playing with my loads...mostly 125gr to 150gr using Lil'Gun. I had my lighter bullets loaded up with 18gr and my heavier with 17gr. Accuracy was ok and the 147's and 150's were showing a slight amount of pressure on the primer. I am dropping both loads .5gr and going to run with that.

I went to my lgs this week to pick up some powder and a Ruger Single Six Convertible. He had A1680, I saw the 1lb cans but didnt ask about larger containers. I did pick up a 4lb of Lil'Gun, he didn't have an 8lb. It was $72,. an 8lb of H110 was $145.

I am not thinking about subsonics or cast bullets in my 16" Carbine, just developing good hunting rounds. I do know that at 100yrds a 147gr bullet really smacks a gong!!
NRA, Oathkeepers, USMC 75-79
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
edlaver

Post by edlaver »

Anybody have a load for Hornady 110 soft points?