190 gr Sub X load FINALLY done.

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Demphna2

190 gr Sub X load FINALLY done.

Post by Demphna2 »

It's been a little over a year messing with this load for this particular gun, but I think I'm done with it.

6.5" V7 barrel
190 gr sub x
N105 7.6 gr
1001 FPS
100 yards

Decided to chronograph 8 gr after trying a different brass prep technique. 8 gr load was previously established with good precision, but did not have consistent ES.

Imagefantasy world wallpaper

Then with that information, tried for a 6" steel plate at 300 yards. You can't see much, but you can hear the shot and then about a second later, you can hear the steel. Very very cool to do with this setup.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zKEJfveuBRGUKMr29

Some takeaways I have and learned along the way:

This gun weighs something like 7 lbs with suppressor and loaded mag. Initially I was using a CMC 2.5lb trigger with decent results. My goal for this was kind of crazy in the fact that I was trying to make a load that was quiet and very accurate shot almost like a benchrest rifle. I switched to a Triggertech single stage adjustable trigger which gets as low as 1.5 lbs. That made a huge difference for what I was trying to accomplish.

Another big improvement was shooting off of a bag instead of a bipod AND figuring out an optimal rear bag since I'm using a brace (shhhhhh, don't tell anyone). I found that using a bag to support the rods on the maxim brace gave really good stability.

Using a mandrel die with the correct amount of neck tension played a big factor in consistency as well. The amount of flyers were reduced dramatically and precision improved (although not as much as I anticipated).

Lastly, I picked up some very good info after reading on this website for about 2 weeks straight. I read so much I gave myself headaches and eye strain, but there is so much good info here from members that have been there, done that. A big thank you to these people.

I am finally satisfied with this exploratory load workup with this particular powder and bullet combo
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Re: 190 gr Sub X load FINALLY done.

Post by Augenblick »

Congratulations on your success! I'm getting close with my load as well. I wanted to try N105 but looks like it's no longer available.

Using AA#9 instead.

Looks like fun enjoy!
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

https://www.vihtavuori.com/powder/n105-super-magnum/

They still have it listed and when I emailed them a few months back, they confirmed they weren't discontinuing it. With that being said, I haven't seen it in a while.
Last edited by Demphna2 on Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roadrunner1969

Post by Roadrunner1969 »

Ain't that about right? You do all the work to find a great load, and then can't get the powder anymore.
I worked up an incredible load with Unique, and now it is practically unobtainium.
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Post by Augenblick »

I have it on good authority that AA #9 is similar to N105. This thread details my development of a load for my Sig MCX Rattler 5.5" with the 190gr sub-x.

https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewto ... 1&t=110769
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Sorry to burst your bubble, but your development is not done, it’s just getting interesting :mrgreen:

Case capacity is so low and charge weights so small, that tiny changes make a world of difference. You may or realize it, but to get a pad to perform like the consistently, you pretty well have entered the world of “benchrest loading”. Where people are absolutely anal about everything. It helps to have that kind of thinking with this cartridge.

Most people that shoot the cartridge are happy banging steel out to a couple hundred yards. Sub MOA with subs past 50 yards gets tough. Search the posts of “bob the nailer”, he takes the time to work a bullet to its full potential.

I hope that VV keeps N105 in production, it may have been ignored to produce more popular selling product. That happened to N120 during the last panic buying surge. It disappeared for a couple years.

AA#9 vs N105.

You will use around .2 grains more #9 to get the same velocity.
N105 has anti copper fouling compounds and is probably better at suppressing flash.

I flip flop between the two, haven’t figured out why one seems to be more accurate than the the other for different bullets or barrels. Just accept it.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

dellet wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:53 am Sorry to burst your bubble, but your development is not done, it’s just getting interesting :mrgreen:

Case capacity is so low and charge weights so small, that tiny changes make a world of difference. You may or realize it, but to get a pad to perform like the consistently, you pretty well have entered the world of “benchrest loading”. Where people are absolutely anal about everything. It helps to have that kind of thinking with this cartridge.

Most people that shoot the cartridge are happy banging steel out to a couple hundred yards. Sub MOA with subs past 50 yards gets tough. Search the posts of “bob the nailer”, he takes the time to work a bullet to its full potential."

I was amazed at how much of a difference that .1 gr makes with this cartridge and subs. If you were to develop a load with the usual .2 gr, you could very well skip over a good spot to load in. This is eventually what I did after I wasn't yielding the results I wanted.

After multiple trips to the range and shooting sub MOA groups at 50, 60, and then 70 yards, the group in the original post was at 100 yards. First time to try it. I do plan on trying some more groups at 100, it seems to be consistent in performance.

Definitely more work developing this load than anything I've ever messed with before. After all the talk of N105 disappearing a few months back, I bought 4 more pounds of it. Should keep me busy for awhile 🙂

70 yards

Imagepic sharing
50 yards
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Demphna2 wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:26 pm
dellet wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:53 am Sorry to burst your bubble, but your development is not done, it’s just getting interesting :mrgreen:

Most people that shoot the cartridge are happy banging steel out to a couple hundred yards. Sub MOA with subs past 50 yards gets tough. Search the posts of “bob the nailer”, he takes the time to work a bullet to its full potential."

I was amazed at how much of a difference that .1 gr makes with this cartridge and subs. If you were to develop a load with the usual .2 gr, you could very well skip over a good spot to load in. This is eventually what I did after I wasn't yielding the results I wanted.

After multiple trips to the range and shooting sub MOA groups at 50, 60, and then 70 yards, the group in the original post was at 100 yards. First time to try it. I do plan on trying some more groups at 100, it seems to be consistent in performance.

Definitely more work developing this load than anything I've ever messed with before. After all the talk of N105 disappearing a few months back, I bought 4 more pounds of it. Should keep me busy for awhile 🙂

70 yards

Imagepic sharing
50 yards
Not knocking that at all, but you can have a lot of fun and learn a lot stretching it a bit and you don’t need 1000 yards.
3X5 card, 5 shots, 200 yards.
Harder than it sounds, give it a try.

viewtopic.php?f=128&t=98191&hilit=Yard+challenge
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

I read through that entire thread, good stuff in there. I'll give it a go, hopefully soon.
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Post by Augenblick »

Well sir that is one fancy barrel you have there. I doubt I'll get anywhere near that performance from the rattler barrel. I'm also just using a holosun 510c green dot.

To dellet's point about benchrest techniques, after resizing and trimming, deburring and chamferring I did measure and weigh all my cases, same headstamp and weighed all my bullets and sorted them. So next trip to the range I'll see how it goes.