Where to go from here?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Augenblick
Silent Operator

Re: Where to go from here?

Post by Augenblick »

Thanks Dellet.

It does all make more sense. Thank you for helping me gain that knowledge. You can tell someone how to do something but unless they do it themselves and understand why there's no real learning.

From what I've read Accurate#9 has higher pressures than the CFEBLK, 1680 and H110 so I don't want to go too small on case volume (seating too deep) and overshoot pressure.

I follow what you're saying about being on the slow side with velocity with my stupid barrel length but I'll probably err on the side of caution until I get a feel for #9. With 1680 and CFE I know I can't pack enough powder in to go over pressure for this cartridge. At least not in subsonics.

At this point in my reloading career, 8 months, I'm weighing every charge and then seating the bullet. Not the most efficient.

Can I ask what your go to AR plinking bullet is? These SVC 220's have good stability from what I see but they are getting really chewed up feeding into the chamber so I'm pretty sure my accuracy won't be great but I think I can improve.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

For subs generally this, but right now the price is too high. Should be around $250 per 1000, I paid $200, right before the last election.
https://www.shootersproshop.com/30-cali ... -blem.html

The 175’s aren’t too bad right now.

Watch Midway and Powder valley for sales on seconds or blems and when the price is right buy as many as you can afford. Then borrow some money and buy some more.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Post by Augenblick »

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Augenblick wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:31 pm Same thing a little cheaper

https://www.nosler.com/30-caliber-190gr ... 250ct.html
CHeck your bullet count.
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Post by Augenblick »

It was 31.4 cents per round. But the BBB rating is D-.

So does this bullet shape in your experience chamber in ARs the best?

Also while combing the site for Accurate #9 data I came across your double charge story. So your point of taking a look just to be sure is well taken.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Augenblick wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:10 pm It was 31.4 cents per round. But the BBB rating is D-.

So does this bullet shape in your experience chamber in ARs the best?

Also while combing the site for Accurate #9 data I came across your double charge story. So your point of taking a look just to be sure is well taken.
I might have misunderstood the reference about the price and poor BBB rating. I thought you were talking about either Nosler from your link, or SPS from my link. Shooters Pro Shop is rock solid, and when you catch their blems or overruns price is around half normal retail. Your link to Nosler showed something like $190 for 250, vs the 36 per 100 or about $190 per 500. I don’t think I ever paid more than $250 per 1000.

I don’t know what feeds best, only what doesn’t feed. Sometimes it’s barrel related.

Here’s a similar design bullet that got a lot of pre production testing here. It easily shot under an inch at 50 yards. Took work at longer distances, a lot of good info in this thread.

https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewto ... 1&t=100346

Might also check out some threads by Bob the Nailer. He put some very accurate subsonic loads with some unlikely bullets

https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/search ... 3&start=30
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Post by Augenblick »

The price on that link changed. It was $78.49/250 when I posted it. Make that another strike against that site.
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Post by Augenblick »

So it looks like I linked the price of those on the Nosler site.

Anyway I'm about to go and load some Hornady Sub-x 190gr and some SVC 220gr with Accurate #9.

For the Sub-x I'll start with the load data for the 190gr SPBT. Hornady 11th has it 8.9 gr Accurate #9 COAL 2.185" 1200 fps. The two bullets have the same length and sectional density. I dont know if the Sub-x will seat that long. If not I'll take the charge down.

Dellet, in your experience does it mater where the cannelure is in relation to the case? Since I don't know where it is on the 190gr SPBT it may be farther out if I seat longer.

I'll load SVC 220gr at 8.3gr and COAL 2.2". I know that might be slow but I'm concerned about the pressure with this powder. I have Lyman 50th and really like the way they list pressures.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Price change wouldn’t surprise me, Nosler having a very poor BBB rating, would. There are so many spoofed reloading sites now any thing is possible.

The cannelure is mostly pointless, unless you crimp. The exception would be bullets designed for a specific cartridge. So the SubX loaded longer than the cannelure, may not chamber of feed in a Blackout but be fine in a 308. Match the seated depth and see if it will chamber. If it’s does, work the bullet down watching pressure and velocity.

When substituting bullets in load data, I really don’t care how much bullet is outside the case, as long as it chambers. To get the pressures to line up, I want to know how much bullet is inside the case. That’s more of the pressure point. Look at the 180 loads and seated depth, maybe it’s closer overall. The 180 round nose is possible.

Check out page 15. It might be interesting.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/2003guide.pdf
Augenblick
Silent Operator

Post by Augenblick »

So you are able to just pull out documents from 2003 huh?. If you wrote a book I would buy it. Nice to have more data points.

I get that the pressure is most dependent on the powder, charge weight and case volume left under the bullet. Other factors for sure as well.

Semi random question. As I understand it, using the Sheridan ammunition gauge, the base of the cartridge should be below the a surface and above the sea surface and should fall somewhere between the a and b surface. If my cartridge is below the b surface is that mean I have my resizing die set too low?

Bonus question. Case trimming. Do you always do it after resizing? When shooting subs it doesn't seem like the case is growing. But I could see it happening with supers.