Quickload Question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quickload Question

Post by dellet »

As far as I know, there is no way to adjust for primers, but I’m really not an authority on Quickload. I use it enough to recognize some of the quirks. I also trust it with of antiques that bad info could be a disaster.

Just for fun check this data, and see if it compares better. Note barrel length for velocity.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/38398925/Sie ... ading-Data

https://sierrabullets.files.wordpress.c ... 052018.pdf

Currently both data sets are available in the same book.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Velocity

Post by Velocity »

There is no area for primers but charting the velocity of different primers and then adjust the Shot Start Pressure for the magnum primers could be another way the fine tune a load.

I have the latest Sierra 6th Edition Manual, nice book, they made it easy to make a copy of a page if needed. I purchased Quickload because there is barely any load data for the .50 Beowulf and what there is comes from Alexander Arms.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

How does 1680 data compare for the Beowulf?

Lehigh defense will have their own data, for their bullets. I know Quickload also lists many Lehigh bullets.Might give another set of comparison loads.

Start pressure is generally jump related, but it might work to help fine tune the outputs for primers.

Here’s where questions like that are probably best answered and a sample thread. A lot of top shooters and ballistic science types there.
https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threa ... d.4014272/
Velocity

Post by Velocity »

Went to Lehigh Defense Site and compared their load data for the .50 Beowulf to Quickload.
https://lehighdefense.com/ld-load-data

I ran Quickload with their numbers and placed in Excel, here is an image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymomizl0cxhus ... a.png?dl=0
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Great. Now 1680 makes sense and 5744 is crazy.

Not quite the same, but this is why loading wildcats and obsolete cartridges is so fun.
Velocity

Post by Velocity »

I know right.

Now that I have Quickload, I'm plugging in the book numbers from all the loads I have made. I keep a record of everything and even tape a small card into the lid of every ammo box showing in line each rounds stat.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vecszam2g0nu6 ... s.jpg?dl=0

I have about 12 boxes like that and because of that 180 SST load (100,000 + psi) everything is going through Quickload if for nothing else than to get the pressure numbers. I've already found a few that will be torn down just to feel safe.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

This might interest you, about mid page, but should be highlighted.

https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewto ... ax#p928151
Velocity

Post by Velocity »

Wow, that just took things to the next level, variables I didn't know I had. Things seem to drop off the cliff on page six, did you complete your quest for a 3,000 + velocity for the 125 gr. SST?

Are you still that involved eight years later, fill me in? It seems the 300 Blackout has a cult just like 65 Grendel form of which I am a member of too.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Never made it 3000 with a 125, made it with a 110 and a 24” barrel, but kinda had to cheat. There was so little bullet in the case I don’t think it was a load you could shoot anywhere but the bench. 2800 is pretty easy in a 24”. Some guys will push 2500 with A 150 grain in that length barrel.

That exposes another flaw in Quickload. Barrel length and velocity. There is a way to add a friction coefficient for long barrels, but default has your bullet gaining velocity in a in an absurdly long barrel, plug in 144” and a sub load is still gaining speed, when it reality, it probably wouldn’t make it out the end.

I don’t pursue the cartridge as much, kind of ran out of things to try. There was a point that if someone said you couldn’t do something with the cartridge, it was my personal goal to prove it wrong, within reason.

Started with carbine gassed being a problem for subs. I was shooting 175 SMK’s subsonic from a 16” carbine gassed gun with a .097” port, without suppressor. It started exposing a lot of crap rifles and factory ammo.

Same thing with a 10” carbine gassed barrel. Port is .125” and I use an adjustable gas block to dial back the gas. My opinion it’s over gassed even with some sub loads and all supers. According to the book, it’s not supposed to work at all.

That thread and the forum started dying around the same time. I think the core group just got tired of answering the same questions over and over. New members came with specific questions, got their answers, and never came back. Basically summed up as, it won’t cycle, or I need load data.

Another issue was people’s expectations of he cartridge. It’s a very low powered rifle round. Perfectly capable of about any game within 200 yards. But people expected 300 WinMag 50 yard stopping power with 300 Blackout subs at 300 yards. Members here were quick to call that out. You can’t shoot a moose at 400 yards, hit it in the hoof, and have it drop in its tracks. But if you can hold an MOA group or better at less than 300 yards with supers, medium sized game should be no problem with supers.

It’s too bad, there is so much information buried in this forum that applies to all reloading and shooting, but because of the cartridge powder capacity, you really need to up your game to make it work. Need to tighten your loading margins of error. A 2% change in a loading variable will make a huge difference, best to keep it to 1%. And you shooting skills need to be honed. It’s perfectly capable of 1/2 MOA with supers and 1 1/2 MOA with subs out to at least 200 yards, but tuning those loads takes some work.

When my wife was shooting regular, sub 3” subsonic groups at 200 yards shooting a Handi rifle and 3X dot scope was no problem.

I think maybe a lot of us just got tired of being told what we were doing couldn’t be done, and how we solved problems wouldn’t work.

Rant over
Velocity

Post by Velocity »

I think that's what happen to 65 Grendel Forum there's a copy of the old forum for references and a custom goodle search and there's the new forum. I learned a lot from that forum by just searching my questions for the 6.5mm Grendel. My 6.5mm Grendel is an Ar-15 with a 24" custom barrel which I built 2 years ago and have only shot it two times in the dirt in my back yard just to get one fired case shot twice for measurement's.

One problem I found on the site was load data for bolt rifles and being tried/used in AR's. I remember reading on there somewhere that people need to reflect rifle type "Bolt or AR" because a lot of those guy's post these for bolt rifles and are loading at maximum and not stating it's a bolt rifle load not an AR.

I did a lot of reading and asked questions when I first became a member only to find out that a lot of gauges and dies purchased were really not applicable for an AR because of magazine length. So, why worry about freebore, shoulder bump the lands, when the magazine length was the dictator.

But I have all the tools, gauges and some good knowledge if I ever purchase a serious bolt-action.