Safe OAL for Berry's 110gr Bullets?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Zardoz56

Safe OAL for Berry's 110gr Bullets?

Post by Zardoz56 »

It has been a long while since I have been here on this forum, but I find myself in a quandary that I hope someone can advise me on.

I'll get right to it. I have a quantity of 110 grain Hornady V-MAX bullets, and twice that number in Berry's copper plated 110 grain round nose. The Berry's are half the price of the V-MAX, so I would like to use them for testing purposes, rather than use up the V-MAX. I realize ballistics once out of the muzzle will be different, but I am looking to just test some combinations that are centered around the guns function with these cartridges.

I look up a load in Lyman's 51st, and I get several loads for the 110 grain V-MAX and a corresponding OAL.

However, the Berry's bullets are shorter than the V-MAX by roughly a quarter inch. All due to the construction of the bullet and intended purpose. I figure the Berry's were originally intended for 30 Carbine brass, and not 300AAC. Both bullets have a flat base, so that is a constant.

I want to develop a load for the Berry's that will basically cycle the action of my firearms (AR-15 platforms), in a similar fashion as would the V-MAX loadings.

The question is, could I safely subtract the difference in bullet height from the OAL for the V-MAX to arrive at a safe OAL for the Berry's? The distance from base to primer would be the same, and the seating depth would theoretically be the same.

I've been reloading since 2008, and retired since 2014. Figured to see if anyone had first hand knowledge of what I would like to do. Thanks.
30plinker

Re: Safe OAL for Berry's 110gr Bullets?

Post by 30plinker »

You need a certain amount at least in the case for neck tension, etc. With these short bullets I think that will be the limiting factory on COAL.

Also, you need to see how much of the bullet length is bore diameter or close to it, since that can affect the max length as well.
Zardoz56

Post by Zardoz56 »

OK, I think I figured out an image upload procedure. I see if it works.

Front top to bottom. The 110 grain Berry's, the 110 grain V-MAX, and a dummy cartridge loaded with V-MAX. The OAL of the dummy is 2.055", or about 0.005" longer than Lyman recommendation.

The length of these measured by caliper is V-MAX at 0.923" and Berry's at 0.649". 0.274" difference. Putting the V-MAX and Berry's side-by-side, it appears that the bore diameter length is a tiny bit longer on the Berry's. At any rate, the base of the bullet would be seated down to just above where the case starts to neck out to full chamber diameter.

Saxon
Silent Operator

Post by Saxon »

sierra list
#2100 .308” 110 gr. RN
C.O.A.L. 1.845”
and there is this

https://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=78052
FreeTacos

Post by FreeTacos »

If you go by CBTO (ogive) instead of COAL I think you will find the seating depth will be more similar than you think.

Get the Hornady comparator tool and the 30cal insert to measure the CBTO of the Hornady round and seat the Berry's to the same CBTO. Seating by ogive is much more precise than overall length. The Hornady comparator tool is fairly inexpensive and a very valuable tool for reloading.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

The base to ogive measurement works out to be similar when seating both bullets to the similar depth in the case. You end up with a shorter COAL for the round nose, and a longer jump. But they cycle just fine. They're not very accurate probably due to a number of factors. But they're generally fun and cheap for plinking at 50 yards or so.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

You need to find where the Berry’s bullet hits the lands. Nothing about the 110 max specs will help you.

If you load the Vmax to 2.050”, it will have about .200” jump. The Berrys bullet probably won’t even chamber at that length.

You need to be able to measure the loaded length of the Berry’s bullet where the 300” diameter of the bullet is roughly at 1.700”.

Easiest way to do this without the proper tools is to make a dummy cartridge, no powder or primer and seat the bullet around 1.90-2.0”. With your upper off and chamber spotlessly clean, insert the round in the chamber with finger pressure. If it’s too long, it will stick in the rifling. Keep seating the bullet .005” shorter until it no longer sticks, the shorten it up another .010” for a safety margin.

Likely you’ll end up around the 1.850” number that Faxon gave you.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.