Hornady 212gn ELD-X and A1680 compressed

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 212gn ELD-X and A1680 compressed

Post by dellet »

My notes generally have both COL and CTBO. I measure and use base to ogive, but most often post COL. unless I know who I’m talking to can measure CTBO. It can get confusing for folks that can’t measure to the ogive and worse if I post a bolt action load. I either load single shot or AI pattern magazines, so if I post a load at 2.380” it’s pretty clear it won’t fit a magazine. If I post it as 2.250” CTBO, someone might get in trouble with it loaded at 2.250” COL.

As for length discrepancies, different bullet, different nose profile. It pays to check everything for jam length. This is probably one of the best uses for a quality chamber gauge. I use the Sheridan, he was one of, if not the first to market them. With his it is a minimum chamber, so just drop a bullet in and if the nose sticks out the bottom, it’s safe to load to magazine length, if not it will jam. With short bullets like a 110 V Max or Varmageddon you can tell if it jams before falling out of the end of the case. You might be surprised how many .308” bullets can’t be loaded to magazine length.

I set shoulders back only .002-003” for maximum case capacity and always establish where the bullet hits the powder. Sub super doesn’t matter, and always use a drop tube. 6” and a slow pour. For 1680 find the depth as before and compress the powder .010”, if at all possible, some bullets are too short to reach the powder and keep the nose of the bullet out of the neck.. If it’s a super using 296/H110 I keep the bullet .010” off the powder. Just where I seem to get the tightest spreads. Adjust the seating depth for accuracy, but keep the ratio real close to those numbers.

This cartridge can keep you busy if you like exploring loads.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
FreeTacos

Post by FreeTacos »

I finally got around to testing this load. I wanted to share the load data because this load is fantastic. It was by far my best load tested today out of about 10 different work ups.

8.5" barrel
Projectile - Hornady 212gr ELD-X
CBTO - 1.535
Case trim length - 1.358
Powder - Accurate 1680, 11.3gr Compressed
Crimp - light crimp with Lee Factory Crimp die
ES - 20 fps
SD - 7 fps
Avg Velocity - 1040 fps

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

No awards will be given until groups posted.

3” at 200 yards is a challenge, but absolutely doable with your load and bullet choice. It takes some work.
FreeTacos

Post by FreeTacos »

The range I was at only goes to 100 yards. And the SBR I was using has a 1x red dot, so I was shooting at 50, which is also my zero. This load gave me the best group of the day and had the best ES/SD.

I was very pleasantly surprised, because I did not have high hopes for this projectile, I don't think it's meant to be used for 300BLK, which would explain the lack of published load data. Hornady has load data for this bullet for .308 Winchester, but not for 300BLK.

Here is the group at 50 yards...

Last edited by FreeTacos on Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

FreeTacos wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:18 pm The range I was at only goes to 100 yards. And the SBR I was using has a 1x red dot, so I was shooting at 50, which is also my zero. This load gave me the best group of the day and had the best ES/SD.

I was very pleasantly surprised, because I did not have high hopes for this projecttile, I don't think it's meant to be used for 300BLK, which would explain the lack of published load data. Hornady has load data for this bullet for .308 Winchester, but not for 300BLK.

I'll post the group later today
It’s a great target bullet, won’t expand at all for hunting, but will likely tumble. Get something else to hunt.

It will show what the rifle is capable of for accuracy with subs. Most people seem to be satisfied with 2 MOA at 50 yards. No reason for that poor of performance.
FreeTacos

Post by FreeTacos »

I just edited my post to show the group. Ignore the group placement, I know I need to adjust the dot, but I wasn't worried about that for testing...just cared about the group.

I agree about this bullet not expanding at this velocity. I'm going to work up a super load as well. The most I'd hunt with this round is coyote. My mother-in-law has 40 acres and her land is getting overrun with coyotes...So I'm going to help her out with that.

I'd like to be supressed so I don't need to wear ear protection. Even without expansion, I'd think this round should be enough to take down a coyote. What do you think?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depends on shot placement and your ethics.

Sadly I know guys that would just as soon gut shoot a coyote with a 22 short and hope it takes a week to die.

A head shot will drop them in their tracks, a heart shot will take a bit longer. Double lung or a single lung could take days.

GDS is the sun hunting man. He’s killed more animals with bullets that won’t work than probably anyone I know. He was doing it long before there were any specialty bullets on the market. Honestly he took a lot heat 10-12 years ago for posting sub sonic rifle hunting results. Might consider him the grandpa of sub hunting. Maybe he’ll weigh in.
FreeTacos

Post by FreeTacos »

I'm not about making an animal suffer...I'll see what kind of super I can work up with this bullet. Or try to dial in a Sub-x round. I tested a 190 Sub-x round yesterday as well, but wasn't really happy with it. It's the corner opposite the 212 ELD-X group, bottom right the way the target is positioned in the pic.

I'll see if I can tighten that up a bit...the velocity also came in way lower than expected for the Sub-x (980fps), so there is room for improvement.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Here’s one thread of many when that bullet came out.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=107847

Copy and paste the search below on your browser. Might find some help
site:300blktalk.com hornady 190

Have a nice read!
FreeTacos

Post by FreeTacos »

dellet wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:34 pm Here’s one thread of many when that bullet came out.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=107847

Copy and paste the search below on your browser. Might find some help
site:300blktalk.com hornady 190

Have a nice read!
Thanks for the info. You are a great help as always!