New Gun, same loads. Is it safe?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

BachmannBlackOut

New Gun, same loads. Is it safe?

Post by BachmannBlackOut »

I loaded a hundred or so rounds for my AR .300BLK platform about a year and a half ago.

Prettyyyy sure I made them your standard sizing. They were all checked with the go/no go gauge. It was my first time loading so I wanted to be more on the safe side than making a super tight to that specific barrel.

Now I’ve got an MCX in 300 BLK. Wondering if I can still safely use them even though it’s a completely different barrel.

I’m assuming it’s fine being you could go safely shoot a dozen different brands of ammunition from your local Sportsmans Warehouse that probably all vary slightly.

Just wanted to check in with you more experienced folks to get the green light, or maybe there’s something I should do beforehand, inspecting them somehow?

Thanks for any help and advice!
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: New Gun, same loads. Is it safe?

Post by 20X11 »

Shoot 1... check for pressure signs. If good, shoot 3 more...check for pressure signs.
BachmannBlackOut

Will do!

But to your knowledge, this should technically be safe m right?

As long as the rounds were made to SAAMI specs and pass headspace gauge, they should be pretty good to go in pretty much any rifle, correct?

Just don’t want to blow up my face or my new rifle.

Also, the age should be fine I’m hoping. I loaded them nearly two years ago. Kept in dry cool conditions.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Yes, if all you said is true, should be fine. Ammo keeps for a long time. Still shooting rounds I loaded 30 years ago, and rounds I purchased 50 years ago.
BachmannBlackOut

Okay awesome. Thanks a bunch for your help.

Would it be advisable to double check all my reloads with the go/no go gauge one more time before firing them off?
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Shouldn't be necessary if you did that when you loaded them. They don't melt or deform in storage.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depends on the load, the bullet and the twist rate.

MCX short barrel has a 1/5 twist. If the load is super the excessive rpm can cause bullet failure. Possibly damaging a muzzle device or suppressor.

Same goes for certain subs, all copper expanding bullets like the Lehigh 194 can also open up.

A 1/5 twist is hard on bullets.

Other than that, if they chamber you should be fine.
As long as you weren’t pushing the load limits before.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Tugnut

Post by Tugnut »

dellet wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:57 pm Depends on the load, the bullet and the twist rate.

MCX short barrel has a 1/5 twist. If the load is super the excessive rpm can cause bullet failure. Possibly damaging a muzzle device or suppressor.

Same goes for certain subs, all copper expanding bullets like the Lehigh 194 can also open up.

Are the Hornady 190gr Sub-X bullets good to go in a 1 in 5"?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Tugnut wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:16 pm
dellet wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:57 pm Depends on the load, the bullet and the twist rate.

Are the Hornady 190gr Sub-X bullets good to go in a 1 in 5"?
They have been for me.

Most subs are fine, I have had problems with the Lehigh 194’s they can open up. Supers are a different story.

Something to remember is rate of fire, the hotter the barrel gets, the harder it is on the bullets.i have shot probably close to 1000 rounds of 110 Nosler Varmageddon bullets with no problems. Probably around one round a minute with a double tap here and there. Bullet RPM well over 300,000.

My wife took that rifle through a walk through course, roughly 20 rounds a minute. Third magazine the bullets started coming apart, about ruined a suppressor.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Tugnut

Post by Tugnut »

Thanks, Dellet.