Sierra data question

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

warimono

Sierra data question

Post by warimono »

Sierra lists their data as: 300 AAC Blackout (Medium Length Gas Tube)

Has anyone done tests to see if there are any significant differences between various
gas tube lengths? Currently I'm waiting for a reply from Sierra as to their distinction.

Joe O
Democrat: Somebody who is too stupid to realize they are an idiot.
Ronn

Re: Sierra data question

Post by Ronn »

Hi Joe, I have not done testing, one thought is the relationship in bolt function, recoil and barrel length to bullet weight, charge and seating depth, also buffer spring and weight. With my 10.5" and 16" AR's all was put in balance with spring and weight changes, no need for an adjustable gas block. Both cycle perfectly and share similar recoil feel. Not a direct approach to your query, but may light some other questions. (My Sierra 135s & 125s Rock)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sierra data question

Post by dellet »

warimono wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:06 pm Sierra lists their data as: 300 AAC Blackout (Medium Length Gas Tube)

Has anyone done tests to see if there are any significant differences between various
gas tube lengths? Currently I'm waiting for a reply from Sierra as to their distinction.

Joe O
Extensive testing was done before going to market.

Barrels less than 16” pistol gas length, H2 buffer, standard spring.

Barrels 16” and longer carbine gas length, carbine buffer, standard spring.

Both using a FA carrier.

This should cycle fine with proper ammunition.

Never heard of a medium length gas system. Longest to shortest would be rifle, mid, carbine, pistol.

There are some custom lengths, mostly for sub 6” barrels. With those best to see what the barrel manufacturer recommends.

With handloads you can use different gas systems, springs and buffers. If you become the designing engineer.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.