Ramshot Competition for singleshot

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bearusmc

Ramshot Competition for singleshot

Post by Bearusmc »

Powder still being hard to come by, I'm looking to come up with a load for my suppressed minifix, looking for very quiet subsonic. Bullet options are 110rn, 150fmj, 190subx, 220smk. Looking for as quiet as possible range load for the 110's mostly. Found ramshot competition local, being that it works well for low velocity cowboy action loads I wonder if it would suit as a poor mans trail boss since I cant seem to find any.

Anyone try this, or have throughts?
Bearusmc

Re: Ramshot Competition for singleshot

Post by Bearusmc »

Well, for those interested. I tried between the 110gn and 158gn published .38sp load.

So with a 150gn fmj at 2.100 COL 4gn of powder. It was quieter then my 5.5gn unique load, and at 100yds impacted 3" lower. Need to pick up a chrono and make a batch now to go back and do some more testing. No pressure signs.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Interesting. That's a very fast powder so go easy. Slow moves.

Yes, I think a chrono is mandatory for load development that is experimental. I'd hold off on doing more until you have one. But that's me, I'm very cautious with pressure.

FWIW, I would have expected it to be quiet due to the burn rate. How was accuracy?
Bearusmc

Post by Bearusmc »

Thanks for the input. Picking up a chrono before I go any more with this. I only loaded 5 rounds and fired 2 out of my ruger american and the other 3 out of the minifix, so no grouping data to speak of. Once I get some FPS data i'll do a batch and see how it groups.

As far as pressure goes, the published data for .38sp says for 4gns behind a 110gn bullet its 1054fps and 16,400psi.

For a 148gn bullet it says 2.5gn puts it at 808fps and 16,400psi (MAX for 38sp is 17,000 PSI i believe).
Bearusmc

Post by Bearusmc »

My 110gn Berry's plated came in so moved to that. Tried a 3.5gn ramshot comp at 1.700 COL load.
No chrono data as my buddies chrono was not working right (still waiting on mine to show up)
Nice and quiet. At 30yds it was a nice half inch group. At 100yds it was a horrible 6"+ group with no pattern. I'll load a few more once the chrono is in to see what velocity it was at, but for now might move to unique and see if I can get a better group.