subsonic target bullet recommendation?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

overkill303

subsonic target bullet recommendation?

Post by overkill303 »

Hi! I am buying my buddy's dillon 550 and am getting into reloading. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a good accurate subsonic bullet for targets and ringing steel? I've tried a few different brands of factory ammo and get like 4-6" groups at 50y. If I switch to some black tip handloads I bought, I get holes in holes. I am using an MCX Virtus 9" with a sig can on it. I don't know why I can't seem to find good cheap target ammo so I figured I'd try loading my own.

I've got a bunch of barnes 110 black tip rounds and a few mags of lehigh maximum expansion 194 sub rounds. Eventually I'll want to load more of those too as well as some accurate target supersonics. I'd be open to a supersonic target bullet recommendation too!

Since I'm so new to handloading I am trying to avoid having to buy too many different primers, powders, etc. so it would be great if I could share those between some of the loads I want to do.

Thank you!
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Re: subsonic target bullet recommendation?

Post by dpete »

You can't go wrong with 220 gr Sierra Match Kings over IMR 4227, and a CCI srp. 970-980 ft/sec with my loads and touching holes at 50 yards if I do my part.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: subsonic target bullet recommendation?

Post by BJK »

If your buddy is a knowledgeable have him show you how to SAFELY use the progressive press and what to watch for and what not to do. It's awfully easy to get a double charge with some powders and that could ruin your day. It's also very easy to make a lot of garbage in a short period of time.

Story time...

I once knew a family who had 2 children. The young boy thought he knew far more than he did. To get some work done by the father I traded a rifle for the work. The boy had a Dillon 550 as a first press and knew absolutely nothing about loading, not enough to even use the words reloader or handloader and apply it to him. I asked if he knew what he was doing and was blown off (arrogant SOB!) so I kept my mouth shut. He began loading maximum loads from the book(s) he had. When he ran out of a powder or a bullet he just bought more of any type and went back to loading max' loads. I did ask about load development and again got blown off. It was in the book so it was good, right? I did suggest otherwise. He wound up making thousands of loads of uncertain components, all max' pressures in the book but unkown what they would do in his rifle. He made 100% garbage and all he was, I assume, able to salvage would have been the bullets and primed brass. The powder would have been Tootie Fruity garbage. But maybe he blended it all together since it had all been used for max' loads. Hey, what's not to like, right? I never knew because after the loading they moved away and I never saw any of them again. You don't want to be that guy. Start slow and understand that pressure is our friend, but it easily becomes an enemy.

As far as the firearm goes, if the can is able be removed for load testing do so. When the bullets are proven to be stable then put the can back on.