Hodgdon Lil´Gun and H110 for Subsonic

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

LoadCor

Hodgdon Lil´Gun and H110 for Subsonic

Post by LoadCor »

Dear 330Blk Community,

i recently got the new owner of a bolt action 16,5" 300 BLK (1:8 Twist) rifle and wanted to start handloading on that caliber.

Currently trying around based on Hornadys Mobile App and the Hodgon "subsonic-data-final.pdf" to get some subsonic Loads with the ELD-M 208gr bullet and the Hodgdon Lil`Gun oder H110 powder.

Nearby handreloaders always recommend a fill rate of the ammunition from greater then 90% or at least 80%. As what i see no of the Load Data (Calculated with GRT and QuickLoad) is over 90%. Some of them nearly touch the 80%.

Did anyone experienced trouble with this low fill rate of powder?

My wish is to use these two powders for my 110gr Hornady V-Max (supersonic) training ammunition and 110gr lead free Barnes TAC-TX FB for hunting ammunition. The 208gr should also just be for training, thats why i want to prevent buying another powder.

Greetings
dpete
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hodgdon Lil´Gun and H110 for Subsonic

Post by dpete »

I worked on using Lil'gun for 220 gr subs. It worked alright, but IMR 4227 was more accurate and ran cooler.
BigBadBrad

Post by BigBadBrad »

Never messed with H110 but love Lil Gun for 190gr subs. At only 7.5grs I’m not sure what the fill rate is but easily <50%. I use polyester fiber-fill (a tiny bit will do) to fill the void and couldn’t be happier.
I’m not sure at what point a “low fill rate” is guaranteed to begin creating ignition problems but I’ve used this method from day 1 so I’ve never had any. Hope this helps.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

I don't understand the desire to use one powder for two completely different loads. What's wrong with having two cans of powder?

Neither 110 nor Lil'Gun are the ideal powders for subs. I'd stick with 110 for supers, skip the Lil'Gun, and get something more appropriate for subs. The loading section of this site has lots of info.