175gr Sub X

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

ShootNstuff

175gr Sub X

Post by ShootNstuff »

Since the 190’s are impossible to find as components these days, I picked up some 175 Sub X.

Powders I have on hand are:
CFE BLK, H110, Lil Gun, SW BLK and N110

I would like to focus on keeping these sub sonic out of an AR with a 6.25” 1/5 barrel, suppressed. My preference would be to use N110, but before I started loading, I wanted to see if anyone has successfully developed AR loads with these bullets with the powders listed above.

I hate CFE BLK so I would like to stay away from that, though I am sure it wouldn’t have a problem cycling a 175gr sub. I just have not had good accuracy with it in this barrel at all, even using the compressed load technique, which helped, but still not great. Plus it’s filthy.

Thanks
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 175gr Sub X

Post by dellet »

I looked at the bullet, have not bought any, so can’t say for certain.

Of the powders you listed, N110, H110, Shooters World, in that order. Lil’gun if I got bored and wanted to be frustrated, CFE if hell froze over.

The problem may be OAL, it looks like it will need to be loaded very short, that may not give a lot of room for seated depth adjustments. Might be a great candidate for faster powders like #9.

The bullet just hasn’t been available that long for serious experimenting. Hornady I’m sure has data. Without knowing how much bullet is in the case, it’s hard to know where to start, but I would likely start around 8 grains of H110/296 without the suppressor on and get a baseline for velocity.

Might have to check the locals again and see if they have any yet.

Look forward to some results posted.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

Col of 1.990 is what I've read for this bullet. Ought to be a good shooter.
ShootNstuff

Post by ShootNstuff »

A guy on arfcom loaded some of these to 1.990.

My concern is making these cycle with N110. I was going to start with 8.3gr base on VV’s 200gr data. I am hoping the 6” barrel will help them stay sub.

What also would be interesting however, is the flip side and pushing these super as fast as possible and seeing the gel results. Might make for a nice close range hammer with some fragmentation.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

This was my concern seeing the phots of that bullet.

A loaded length of 1.990, is on the short end of feeding reliably, for example, that’s shorter than most people will load a 110 VMax or Varmageddon. If you compare that to load data for most other bullets of similar 175-180 grain bullets, 1.990” is about .250” shorter. That will create a lot of extra pressure. The jump to the lands will be the key to controlling that.

Check the bullet length difference between the Lapua 200 and the Hornady to get an idea of seated depth. The Lapua 200 is 1.340” seated at 2.240”, around .460” bullet in the case.

If the Hornady is shorter than 1.10”, you will be real close for pressure, low on velocity due to 8” less barrel.

Won’t know until you shoot it, but I would be really surprised if you can’t get N110 to work. I use it in a 10” carbine gassed barrel with 178 AMax. The longer bearing surface of that 175 Sub x will help a lot.
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

What is the difference (other than weight) between this and the 190?
Demphna2

Post by Demphna2 »

07Kingpin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:42 pm What is the difference (other than weight) between this and the 190?

Unproven yet.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

07Kingpin wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:42 pm What is the difference (other than weight) between this and the 190?
190 on top.
The 175 was actually designed for the the 30-30. It will work in the Blackout, just might be not as easy to tune as other bullets. If you can’t load it long, that’s a lot of bullet inside a small case. I would be interested to know what length it hits the lands and how long the bullet is.

07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

Great visual- thanks dellet.

Just got around to trying some 190s I bought a while ago and they shot pretty well, interested to hear how the 175s pan out.
ShootNstuff

Post by ShootNstuff »

The grids represent 1” squares on the target. All shots are at 50 yards out of a KAK 6.25” baby blonde 1/5 barrel with a 6.25” can.
Optic is a 2 MOA red dot with 3x magnifier, so a 6 MOA dot.

N110 powder. COAL is 2.00 NOT the 2.20 my buddy wrote down.

Buddy was taking notes and didn’t understand when I said “bolt held open” hence the random notes. I told him just to write BHO.

Process was 1 shot in mag to test BHO. Then 5 shot groups in second mag.

All “fliers” are my first shot, so it could simply be a matter of POA because the now 6moa dot basically covers my aiming point. When shooting the groups, the recoil is so low, I can maintain the same position.

Last group is only 5 shots on paper because note taker got a shot.

So results mixed. The expansion threshold is 900fps for the Sub X (assuming it’s the same as the 190) so I need to clean up the load a bit. ES is high. I will play with a couple variables.