Annealing brass

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Re: Annealing brass

Post by strobro32 »

When I first started reloading 10+ years ago, I started with 300 BLK to keep costs down. I pushed velocities for fun and the cases started failing fast. First the primer pockets then the case mouth failed.

I also have access to free brass. Most if it is mixed cases, both factory and personally converted. I don't have an automated conversion system so it's time consuming to make new brass. I started annealing to preserve the brass. Now I keep velocities on the low end (1700 -1800 fps) and anneal every other rotation. I have about 3500 cases and I rotate through them. These cases have lasted pretty well. I use a Ballistic Tools primer pocket guage and check pockets every loading. I have not split a neck since I bought the annealer.

I anneal after all case prep is complete. It's the last thing I do before loading. When I load, I do not use the sizer die again. I do loose about 30-40 cases to primer pockets each loading session but there is someone who leaves there factory BLK brass on the ground the day before my range day so it makes up for the loss. :)
Last edited by strobro32 on Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Re: Annealing brass

Post by BJK »

Interesting firearm!