Berger Elite Hunter Rifle Bullets .30 cal .308" 205 gr HBT

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Avejero

Berger Elite Hunter Rifle Bullets .30 cal .308" 205 gr HBT

Post by Avejero »

Good morning,
Has anyone tried this Berger in their Blk yet (Berger Elite Hunter Rifle Bullets .30 cal .308" 205 gr HBT) I run a Mini-14, 16" 1:7, canned. Looking for a good load for in-house whitetail (under 100 yds) and picked up 2 boxes. Can't find any load data anywhere for the beloved 300 Blk. If I can't find a load I'll be forced to waste them in my 762 😀 Thx & happy pressing. Mike
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Berger Elite Hunter Rifle Bullets .30 cal .308" 205 gr HBT

Post by BlogSarge »

The 205 class of bullets will be subsonic in the blk. Unless they are made for reliable expansion at subsonic they’ll basically behave like FMJs with no expansion.

I’d stuff them into your faster 30 cal rifle and go for a more 300blk-friendly bullet.

Try the 300blk specific Barnes black tip, or the Speer 150gr Gold dot made for blk velocity.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

208 Amax data will work, bullets are the same length. As long as the bearing surface does not slip below the case neck, or jam into the lands, you’ll be fine.

Just be aware that you likely have no expansion with that bullet below around 1800 fps.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Avejero

Post by Avejero »

BlogSarge wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:37 am The 205 class of bullets will be subsonic in the blk. Unless they are made for reliable expansion at subsonic they’ll basically behave like FMJs with no expansion.

I’d stuff them into your faster 30 cal rifle and go for a more 300blk-friendly bullet.

Try the 300blk specific Barnes black tip, or the Speer 150gr Gold dot made for blk velocity.
Thx for the info, I figured they'd suffer as far as expansion. I wanted to try subs really just so I can say I did it. Everyone keeps asking if its really quiet or a gimmick. Well, now i can say yes it is.
I'm not built for re-zeroing every time I shoot a different bullet. Once I find a super that I like for deer/hogs under 100 yards that's where it'll stay. I bought my cans because silence is golden. I live in a rural agricultural area and and suppressed I can shoot whenever I want without disturbing my neighbors or further destroying my own hearing. Also my go to deer rifle is a 243 Win. Hard to beat it.
Avejero

Post by Avejero »

dellet wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:43 am 208 Amax data will work, bullets are the same length. As long as the bearing surface does not slip below the case neck, or jam into the lands, you’ll be fine.

Just be aware that you likely have no expansion with that bullet below around 1800 fps.
Thank you for the reply Dellet. That's exactly what I was going to model. I figured I'd drop a grain or two from established 208 Amax loads & run with it. I'm going to load these, run 100 or so to just experiment. I'll either press the others in my 308 or load & keep for whatever pops up. I'll go straight supers after that (once a find a good bullet to bbl combo) cheers