300 BLK for home defense

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Pewpewpown

300 BLK for home defense

Post by Pewpewpown »

Greetings!
I have been lurking here for a while but haven't found what I'm looking for. I'm not sure that the handloading forum is the right place for this post or not, but since I am looking for the right load for my purpose I thought I'd ask here first...

I have a 8.5" barrel and 1/8 twist rate. I read somewhere that a 9" barrel is optimum for 300 subsonic, can anyone confirm this?

I hope to use this gun as a home defense weapon that wont blow out my eardrums when fired indoors and which will put down an intruder quickly and not over penetrate too far. I was thinking that subsonic velocities may prevent excessive over penetration and have decent expansion in an intruder, and the larger bullet (as compared to my 5.56) would pack more of a punch. Eventually I would like to run it suppressed.

Am I way off base here? I dont have much experience with human-sized game and have a lot to learn. I am still relatively new to reloading but have access to a chrono for testing. Any advice whatsoever is greatly appreciated!

If I missed a thread on this topic or if it belongs elsewhere please redirect me.

If you have any advise on load data that will help me achieve my goal it would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Pewpewpown

Re: 300 BLK for home defense

Post by Pewpewpown »

Moved to main discussion board