Acme 265gr with Vihtavuori N110 Load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Super8mm

Acme 265gr with Vihtavuori N110 Load

Post by Super8mm »

I am new to QuickLOAD and working up my first try a load in it.

Weapon is a AR with 16” barrel 1:8 twist, no can yet but it is ordered.

Acme bullet is 265 grain and suggest a AOL of 2.12. Powder I am looking at is Vihtavuori N110.
QuickLOAD is saying that the Shot Start Pressure would be 3626 using 7.5 grain of N110 and it would be about 1006fps

Does this look like a good starting point or a disaster waiting to happen?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Acme 265gr with Vihtavuori N110 Load

Post by dellet »

Start pressure is not something to be concerned with right now. That is the amount of pressure needed to get the bullet moving and is a fixed number based on the type of bullet. If you hover your pointer over the value, it will bring up a table with different pressures to choose for jacketed, solid brass, and such.

What you want to be concerned with is “maximum chamber pressure” keep that under 52,000 for now and you’re very safe. Muzzle pressure will come into play when you start diagnosing cycling problems, and the lower that number is, the quieter the muzzle blast will be.

I would probably bump the charge weight up at least half a grain. It’s a lot easier to drop velocity back down than it is to pound out a bullet stuck in the barrel. You’re also less likely to have cycling problems. No reason to have one more thing to deal with.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

Thanks dellet, that helps a lot. The fields for chamber pressure show yellow if you are in the correct range, it was a white back ground but if you read the popup white means under pressure so I adjusted powder until it turned yellow which is a safe range.

Next I opened the pop up window for bullet base and selected flat base and the pressure window went to magenta which is a caution you are over 85% so I backed the powder back down.

One thing I cant find is a selection for Hi-Tek bullet finish, some of the manufactures suggest to use 10% less powder with this finish.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

What you can do is change the value for start pressure, and watch what it does to chamber pressure. That will give an idea of where you are. When in doubt choose the the one that gives the highest pressure. Then when you have some actual velocity readings, c heck to see if one of the other values gives you closer to the real velocity. It’s one way to tune the program to your actual barrel and powder lot.

Max pressure for the cartridge is 55,000. With the combination you have, you will be well above 1100 fps. Before l you get near there.

I don’t know if the latest version of quick load lists lead bullets for rifles, it will for pistols. They may even have coated bullets in that section now. I need to update my version.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

I did find a check box that says Friction Reduction Multiplier and it says "For use with friction proofed bullets." "For Moly-coating or equivalent process select a value of 0.66". would this come close to Hi-Tek lead bullets??

Using the W/O Friction Coating it shows that a safe load for chamber pressure is from 7.35 to 7.66 and with a coating it is 7.4 to 7.78
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Super8mm wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:55 pm I did find a check box that says Friction Reduction Multiplier and it says "For use with friction proofed bullets." "For Moly-coating or equivalent process select a value of 0.66". would this come close to Hi-Tek lead bullets??

Using the W/O Friction Coating it shows that a safe load for chamber pressure is from 7.35 to 7.66 and with a coating it is 7.4 to 7.78
Just to use jacketed numbers, and stay below 55,000 psi.

Powder coating is not an anti friction coating, it’s there to keep lead from sticking to the barrel.
Super8mm

Post by Super8mm »

dellet wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:04 pm Just to use jacketed numbers, and stay below 55,000 psi.

Powder coating is not an anti friction coating, it’s there to keep lead from sticking to the barrel.
Thank you, i was not sure how Hi-Tek compared to which category