Is there a sweet spot for CFE BLK?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Taylor300

Re: Is there a sweet spot for CFE BLK?

Post by Taylor300 »

Finally mad it back out to the range yesterday. Didn’t have much luck with the loads. However, I realized I had loaded them with M2 bullets. Should have used the Hornady #3031. I asked in several places about the M2 bullets and was told they can be hit and miss for accuracy. I had five rounds loaded with 19, 19.5, 20, 20.5, and 21 grains. Terrible groups at 50 yards. Although I will say the 21 grain loads show the best by a small margin. I think I’m going to load some of those Hornady bullets with steps between 20 and 21 grains and try again.

I had a few 220 grain Sierra MatchKing loaded with 11.9 grains of CFEBLK. Leftover from some loads I was trying out in an AR build. Those shot super quiet with the suppressor and were about 1.5 MOA at 50 yards. Doesn’t seem like those subs should shoot better than suppers with this powder? So again, maybe my RAR just doesn't like M2 bullets?

Another shooter there was using some 130 grain loads with 11FS. He said he was getting great groups. I really need to find some of that powder!

Thanks again for all the help!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

If you’re not compressing CFE, you’re wasting your time.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
07Kingpin
Silent Operator

Post by 07Kingpin »

+1 dellet knows of what he speaks.
Taylor300

Post by Taylor300 »

Wow, what a difference a bullet makes! Loaded up some 21 grain with that Hornady #3031 150 grain bullet. Target at 50 yards. Same exact setup as last time except the new bullets. Finally was able to get a sub MOA group! Even the worst groups were twice as good as the groups with the M2 bullets. Safe to assume my gun doesn't like those M2. Going to try and tweak the load a little more, but very happy with todays outing. Nice to have some loads that finally work!