125 SMK's

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

badguybuster
Silent But Deadly

125 SMK's

Post by badguybuster »

I spent most of yesterday toying with the 125 grain smk's. I started with 20 grains of Accurate 1680 and the group mediocre, increasing by .2 grains up to 21 grains. As the velocities got hotter then groups got tighter. At 21 grains the group was excellent and exactly what I wanted. You could cover all 5 shots with a nickel. The rifle is a PWS MK116 Mod 1 using a Trijicon MRO and fired at 75 yards. Average velocity was 2108 with an SD of 12. Next up I will be doing a penetration test using a whitetail shoulder I saved from last deer season. I would post a pic but apparently cannot do so on here anymore.

I only have 1 pound of 1680 so I am going to work some some loads of H110 next.
Dyin aint much of a livin' boy
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: 125 SMK's

Post by dellet »

It’s a great bullet to work with.

The H110 might seem a bit erratic until you get close to 95% load density then all of a sudden it evens out. Kind of like you found with the 1680, but 100 fps faster.

1680 is a highly under rated powder for supers and the heavier the bullet, the better it performs, if you have some 150-175 weight bullets you might give it a try.

Look forward to some results of the shoulder and general groups and load data.

Photos need to be hosted on a 3rd party site and linked. Not sure if there are any decent free ones any more.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.