Cfe black with 110 vmax to full??

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Slowbolt

Cfe black with 110 vmax to full??

Post by Slowbolt »

Hello all. New to this forum and pretty new to hand loading. In my area powder is pretty much non existent. So I’m trying to work with what I can find. So I found this cfe black and picked up some Hornady 110 vmax bullets. Want to load some supers. My first tax stamp was cashed almost a year ago so hopefully I can get into the sub loads soon as well. So I’m looking at the load data on the Hodgdon website. It calls for a starting load of 22.5 grs. So I start adjusting the powder drop. I’m only at 21 grs and it looks like the bullet is going have to smash down the powder even at 21grs when fully seated. I have 2 different scales and I calibrated each one before I started this process. I know that max loads with some powders when loading 223 it’s darn near full. But not to the point of the bullet smashing down the powder. Well from what I have loaded so far anyway. But I think if I bump it up to the 22.5 it will fill completely to the top of the case. Not only does that make me very uneasy about a big boom, but I think powder will get every where from the motion of the progressive press. Press is a Dillon 750 as is the powder drop. If that matters. I have two 300 blackout systems. One is a sig canebrake and the other is an unfired Daniel defense 10.3 pistol. I would really rather not kill either one. I’m absolutely considering building some sacrificial lambs out of some more budget friendly components. That way if I do go boom at least someone can get something ($) for the nicer systems if the boom was to go Kentucky ballistic. I’m not push the envelope guy at all! I’m just trying to make some fun plinking loads cuz as you know 300 is pretty expensive to run. Anyway hopefully some one can put all this babble together in a way that makes sense and give some insight.

Thanks!!!
Slowbolt

Re: Cfe black with 110 vmax to full??

Post by Slowbolt »

Nvm I believe my question was answered. I was ignorant to what that (c) meant on the load data.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The good news is you figured out what the “C” means.

Bad news is your Dillon powder drop.

With a high density load, or compressed, using a fine ball powder like CFE BLK, you want a slow pour of the powder down a tube. This allows the powder to settle and stack as it fills the case. A large fast dump, basically at the case moth will very high in the case compared to the slow drop. Then when the shell plate rotates to the next station, you will fling powder out the top of the case.

When compressing powder like that, it’s good practice to let the loaded rounds sit for a day or two. Then remeasure the overall length again. Too much compression can push the bullet back out of the case.

The good news is that you really do not have to worry about pressure. That is a very safe load with that powder/bullet combination. Loading on a progressive press you may not be able to get to the max load, it’s just the nature of a the press. A single stage is much better suited for that task. Slowly pushing down the lever makes it easier to compress the powder.

Also watch the nose of the bullets for deformation. Sometimes too much compression can leave a ring on the copper jacket. It’s easier to compress the bullet than the powder at some point.

Done right you should have very accurate, but on the slower end of the scale ammo. The VMax is a good bullet choice.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Slowbolt

Post by Slowbolt »

Will the ring on the bullet create an unsafe condition or just accuracy issues?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Slowbolt wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:05 am Will the ring on the bullet create an unsafe condition or just accuracy issues?
Depends on the depth of the ring.

If you can just see a mark left like a polished spot, nothing at all.
If you completely crush it, the jacket will separate from the core and come apart in flight. If you are using a suppressor, enough imbalance can cause a baffle strike and take out the baffle stack or end cap. If you can feel it, it’s way too much and accuracy will suffer. If you can see it from across the room, I would pull the bullet.

Another big problem is getting the bullet to seat straight if the powder column is not flat. It can tip the bullet. That can be an accuracy issue.

Compressing powder in general is no big deal, and CFE reacts great to some compression. Combing compression on a progressive press and running out 200 rounds an hour can lead to disappointing results.
Slowbolt

Post by Slowbolt »

I’ll just load slowly. And slow down the shell plate with my finger before it snaps on the the detent flinging powder everywhere. Side note. Do I need to have a certain number of posts before I can post up pictures? I can’t seem to figure that out. Thanks for the info you have provided me on this! I really do appreciate it!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Slowbolt wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:42 pm I’ll just load slowly. And slow down the shell plate with my finger before it snaps on the the detent flinging powder everywhere. Side note. Do I need to have a certain number of posts before I can post up pictures? I can’t seem to figure that out. Thanks for the info you have provided me on this! I really do appreciate it!
Just try it and see what happens, and watch for powder. Besides the crazy load variations, it balls up the works under the shell plate. Below is a link for upgraded parts for the 650 that really help with the problem. The 750 incorporated most if all of the upgrades, so you may be fine
https://ballistictools.com/store/dillon ... &order=ASC

As for posting photos, you need use your own host and post a link. In the past photobucket was popular, imgur was another. Many of the host in this link are gone, but the process is the same.
viewtopic.php?f=128&t=84314