Looking for advice and help on a Mold!

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Tayous1

Looking for advice and help on a Mold!

Post by Tayous1 »

So I have bought and have had a few .308 molds and I bought an MP-311 410HP but found that it did not work when I used it in my AR I have used AR-15 magazines and AR-300blk magazine. So I'm thinking it's the length of the bullet. The MP mold worked if I made sure the OAL was 2.00 or more but it looked odd as it did not seat even close to the lube ring.

I talked with Arsenal molds and they said to use their 312-145 Grain LFN Bullet or Elvis bullet. I'm trying to look for the lightest weight possible as my factory rounds are 130gr but willing to go to a 150gr if they will feed our of a magazine. I have not pulled the trigger on the Elvis mold as I asked what OAL is recommended to work in a semi-auto and never received anything back.

So looking for advice on a mold or help if I'm doing something wrong with my other molds. Thanks!
imashooter2

Re: Looking for advice and help on a Mold!

Post by imashooter2 »

I’m having good luck with the Lee C312-155-2R sized at .310 diameter.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

I use a 31-142D PC & GC for 2k fps in my BO carbine. Feeds fine but you have to watch seating depth to avoid jamming the lands in an AR.
About 20 rnds in an inch @ 50 yds. Actually it works fine with 2 coats of BLL if you don't PC. WDWW alloy with some Cu added. Pushed a PB 31-142C to 2k fps Hitek coated and really hard alloy. I don't use HP bullets.
Tayous1

Post by Tayous1 »

popper wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 8:30 pm I use a 31-142D PC & GC for 2k fps in my BO carbine. Feeds fine but you have to watch seating depth to avoid jamming the lands in an AR.
About 20 rnds in an inch @ 50 yds. Actually it works fine with 2 coats of BLL if you don't PC. WDWW alloy with some Cu added. Pushed a PB 31-142C to 2k fps Hitek coated and really hard alloy. I don't use HP bullets.
Might have to look at that 31-142D what OAL works best for your AR?
Tayous1

Post by Tayous1 »

Also tried some of my MP HP rounds on a few water jugs and I will say I was impressed with the damage it did where the solid did what solids do the HP even in lead shredded the water jugs.

Like to see it in some gel but I feel if it hit something on two legs traveling 2,192 FPS it's going to do some damage! I also look at an HP as being a good SD round if you need them.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

It's slick sided so I load some dummy rnds to set COAL. It does load short in the Lancer mags so you have to watch for over-run - usually due to rough rims on a reloaded rnd. It also works fine in Marlin 30/30.