Projectile Database for Base to Ogive measurements?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Maple Bacon

Projectile Database for Base to Ogive measurements?

Post by Maple Bacon »

Haven't had much luck finding detailed measurements for all of the various projectiles, specifically the distances between bullet bases and ogives. Does such a thing exist?
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Re: Projectile Database for Base to Ogive measurements?

Post by Omega »

I haven't seen one, but if there were one I would be a bit skeptical of it. Measuring a box of a hundred would give you a big variance, measuring them again with a different comparator would probably give you a different variance.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
Maple Bacon

Post by Maple Bacon »

Oh, I am not looking for dead nuts numbers, but rather more of a handy tool for seating depth in relation to each bullet's OAL. For instance in another thread was a discussion of seating depths and OAL, with SMKs compared to interlock round noses. I feel it might be a nice resource to get seating depth "starting points" when in a situation like today where you might be lucky to find a single box of projectiles, but have the data on another of the same weight, but different shape. In that case if you knew distance from base of bullet to ogive, you could start off by seating the bullets to the same depth by figuring out case base to ogive.

Follow me? At the very least it might get one in the ballpark, and if one were concerned with distance from ogive to lands, it could be helpful for that too.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

Maple Bacon wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:35 pm Oh, I am not looking for dead nuts numbers, but rather more of a handy tool for seating depth in relation to each bullet's OAL. For instance in another thread was a discussion of seating depths and OAL, with SMKs compared to interlock round noses. I feel it might be a nice resource to get seating depth "starting points" when in a situation like today where you might be lucky to find a single box of projectiles, but have the data on another of the same weight, but different shape. In that case if you knew distance from base of bullet to ogive, you could start off by seating the bullets to the same depth by figuring out case base to ogive.

Follow me? At the very least it might get one in the ballpark, and if one were concerned with distance from ogive to lands, it could be helpful for that too.
I get what you are saying, but it may be too difficult. A seater die can hit different portions of any particular bullet a bit differently. Some may hit the ogive, but others would hit the tip, and smash if lead, so it may not work as you think. Some seaters come with different inserts, and some you can mod yourself with hot glue or epoxy, but you would need one for every type profile of bullet, or at least select the best fitting one you have.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The only bullet manufacturer that I am aware of that published that information is Berger. Sadly what you’re trying to do kind of works on paper, but not in the real world. You could get some of the Berger’s and give it a try.
https://bergerbullets.com/information/l ... ce-charts/

To just figure seating depth, it’s easier, all you need is bullet and case length. Many of those are available on JBM ballistics.
http://www.jbmballistics.com/ballistics ... gths.shtml

Bullet length + case length - COL = seated depth.
Bullet length +case length - seared depth = COL.

That would give you the seated depth you are after, but no matter what, you won’t ever really know if it will fit your chamber until you try. Magazine length is easily determined.

Once you have made enough cartridges made up at the length they hit the lands, you will see a huge difference in base to ogive, unless your measuring tool was cut with the. Same reamer as your chamber.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
Maple Bacon

Post by Maple Bacon »

Crossposted from the pistol load thread:

Picked up a box of 200 grain SMKs (can only get what ya can find these days), and just going by the eyeball, the ogive looks to begin in approximately the same distance from the base as the interlock 220s. Not overly scientific, but that will come with some official measures. And a nod to one being a square base, while the SMK is a BT. If seated to the same depth, they may very well be similar distances to the lands when chambered.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Post by popper »

The old trick, split the neck and just insert bullet. Chamber gently, then extract gently. Or use just enough neck tension the bullet doesn't move easy. Make some dummies' with proper tension and try. Or seat some dummies' and increase length till they don't fit. Manuf. data isn't your gun. Get a fender washer, ream to ID of your bore. Set that on your bullet and measure to the base. Or buy the comparator. Lots of ways to skin the cat.