gn vs gr

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

laflaone

gn vs gr

Post by laflaone »

Last I heard, gn is the abbreviation for grains, and gr is for grams. And yet, I see folks all the time referring to a 220(or whatever) grain bullet as 220gr, which would make the weight almost 1/2 lb! Same sort of thing with powder. 7000gn/lb, and 454gr/lb. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Re: gn vs gr

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Scientifically the gram is (g) in the metric scale.

Grain is (gr or gn) depending on who you talk to or what box of ammo you look at.

I'm used to gr for grain and when I see gn It clicks a half second later.

Just remember to make sure your scale is on the right setting.
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
robinettemorici

Post by robinettemorici »

It’s good to know because I was totally confused by these grains and grams. I didn’t know that grain is a legit measure unit in the US. As a person who’s more used to the metric system, I refer to grams and not grains, but sometimes I have to convert.
Thankfully, numerous converters online, like https://ounces-to-grams.com/grams-to-ounces, do the job well. I had to do it once to remember the approximate conversion rates. I don’t understand why we use two different measurement units because it complicates things. I would choose only one of them to simplify everything.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I agree. g is what I have seen for grams. Thankfully, most don't use grams so its less confusing.

Gr or gr is always used as abbreviation for Grains behind bullets and powder in reloading circles.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS