Powder-loads for 150gr subs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dieselherb

Powder-loads for 150gr subs

Post by dieselherb »

I have seen lists that include H110 for subsonic loads. And have seen a guy on his UTube page shooting 150gr with H110 10.5 gr load. But I swe no official sites going along with this. I bought some reloads online years ago with under filled H110 110 gr bullet that blew the rifle.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Powder-loads for 150gr subs

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Are you just looking for loads with H110 or are you asking for 150 grain loadings with other powders?
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

My mistake, he was using 1680. Sorry! No, powder doesn't matter as long as safe to use!
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

Sierra lists a few different powders that will cycle 150 grain bullets (depending on your gas and buffer system). Trail boss will not. I am using RL7 with a lightweight carrier and Tubbs 300 AAC spring for 150 grain bullets.

https://sierrabullets.files.wordpress.c ... 052018.pdf
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

I was going to comment that some folks find favor with 296/H110 as a "sub load powder". But these powders are ones always labeled as BEWARE IF REDUCED LOADS.

I dont, won't, use them for sub loads.

Thankfully there are many better options. You have chocen a dandy!! 1680. It has been said that a re loader would be very sufficiently stocked if they only had 296/H110 and 1680 powders for loading the 300 Whisper/BO.

Today we also have a few others that can be substituted. 300 blk is a big one. This powder is very close to 1680 in use a d application. But has been more costly. But usually easier to find.

If loading subs in single or bolt actions. The powder choices grow exponentially.

I haven't loaded 150g subs. As not many ( nearly none) are going to expand that slow. But one that comes to mind ad a possible is the Hornady 30/30 version if the 160 FTX. BULLET. THIS ONE EXPANDS at some pretty slow velocities.
I had a thread on this some years back, and Dellet took it and ran offering hands on velocity and expansion tests.

One option many do not look to, is a cast bullet. Cast bullets offer the caster combined with a good hand loader 100% of how that bullet preforms. Powder coating makes cast bullets far more gas gun & supressor friendly.

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

These are just for plinking. Bullets were cheap .20