A1680 and Dillon powder measure

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Bobby Walla

A1680 and Dillon powder measure

Post by Bobby Walla »

I am trying to load up some 208's. This is my first go around loading 300 BLK. I have the AK funnel in and I am getting drop spreads from like 12.7-7.4.
I just got done loading 9mm with the same measure with no issues. I have the pistol powder bar installed. Powder isn't clumped up.

Does anyone here load with a dillon and this powder? Before I dig into the measure anymore, I want to make sure it isnt a powder issue. I don't see how it could be because it is so fine and normally its the big sticks that have issues. Any feedback would be helpful!
wildfowler
Silent But Deadly

Re: A1680 and Dillon powder measure

Post by wildfowler »

Does Dillon still offer some sort of an adapter that allows you to use a different brand of powder measure on top of their press?

I don’t Use 1680 powder in my Dillon but I use 1680 in a powder measure made by Redding and it meters extremely accurately and very clean with little spillage.

I’m sorry I don’t have a better answer for you but you could consider using a different tool with your press.
driven every kind of rig that's ever been made, driven the backroads so I wouldn't get weighed. - Lowell George
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

1680 should flow and fill like many of the ball variety powders. Start back to square one and check all the mechanical connection between the press and powder measure. Gotta be a simple something creating the issue. I have experienced some static issues that created random charge issues, a new dryer sheet wrapped around the powder hopper solved the issue. I have two 550B's, used them for years...couple days ago I was loading some 9mm steel match loads and kept crunching primers. After 9 ruined spark plugs I discovered the large primer assembly was still in place...duh.

Hope you finger it out, carry on 8)

TR
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Ditto to the post above. I had the same problem. Turned out I just needed to redo the powder drop set up.

I did own one powder bar that was loose many years ago but Dillon replaceed it, no problem.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.