Got some reloads in trade, do I have to resize case after pulling bullets?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

JMC8

Got some reloads in trade, do I have to resize case after pulling bullets?

Post by JMC8 »

Hi y'all, looooong time lurker here, decided to join after all.

I received some 147gr reloads from a buddy in a trade, I figured I would pull the bullet, dump some powder to make them 147s subsonic, reuse the primers already in 'em (they are unobtanium for me right now), seat the bullets back in and they make the perfect fodder for my bolt action in 300blk. I know the 147's in subsonic won't cycle, but I'm not feeding them in a gasser, so I'm fine as long as they shoot.

My question is, do I have to resize the brass after I pull the bullets? I'm using a RCBS collet puller, it has worked well for me so far. I'm definitely keeping the primers in there as I can't afford to spare any primers right now, so not having to resize them would be best.

If I need to resize em, I know I would obviously have to take out the decapping pin to keep the primers in the case, but will the cases be resized right without a decapping pin in the die?

Thanks in advance for your help, y'all.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Re: Got some reloads in trade, do I have to resize case after pulling bullets?

Post by 20X11 »

You may get away with neck sizing only after pulling the bullet. If you dont size the neck, you may have neck tension issues. I would also check the finished rounds in a Sheridan gage.
Do you know what powder is currently in them? Some powders don't play well with "reduced" charges.
JMC8

Post by JMC8 »

Thanks for the tip, man. I really don’t know what powders my buddy used in these 147s, but would it matter if I only feed these in a bolt action? What’s the worst that could happen on a reduced charge, as long as they go bang and the velocity is subsonic?
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Well, some powders (H110 for example) can experience "flashover" on low volumes in a case. Google it if you need to, but it can result in SERIOUS over-pressure conditions.
Google - low powder charge detonation
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

JMC8 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:37 pm Thanks for the tip, man. I really don’t know what powders my buddy used in these 147s, but would it matter if I only feed these in a bolt action? What’s the worst that could happen on a reduced charge, as long as they go bang and the velocity is subsonic?
Since you don’t know what the powder is, how do you know that if you dump half the powder, it’s not still twice as much than is safe?

Unknown powder always goes in the garbage can. That is the only safe thing to do.

As far as resizing the case or not, it depends on expectations of accuracy. You can pull the bullets and measure inside neck diameter. If it is less than .307” diameter, that’s enough tension to hold the bullet in a bolt action.

The other factors will be if the neck is still round and straight, concentric to the rest of the case and centered over the case head. It will never shoot straight, if it’s bent like a banana.

I would pull the bullets, dump the powder and start over. Pull the decapping pin leave the expander.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
JMC8

Post by JMC8 »

You’re right man, I should dump it and start over. You’re saying I should keep the expander in the die? Would that interfere with the primer somehow?

Also, some guys say I can just resize the neck only without going full length, is there a neck sizing only die or do I resize the neck using a fl by stopping half way or something?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

The expander will not interfere with the primer as long as you don't have it set too deeply. Stand the die up on your bench and stand a case next to it. Should be simple to visualize how deep it needs to be to go past the neck but not so deep as to hit the primer. That said, I've deprimed hundreds (thousands?) of live primers, never had one go off, and have reused them without issue.

Yes, you can (sort of) neck size with a FL sizer. Whether it's 100% neck only depends on case taper, size of the chamber it was shot in, and the die itself. Just back the die out a full turn or so.
JMC8

Post by JMC8 »

Does anybody know if A1680 is a safe load to "under load?" Will it cause unsafe pressure spikes if underloading for 147gr to subsonic velocities out of a 16" bolt?
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

JMC8 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:19 am Does anybody know if A1680 is a safe load to "under load?" Will it cause unsafe pressure spikes if underloading for 147gr to subsonic velocities out of a 16" bolt?
Look back at the early days of this board and you'll see that A1680 was probably the most used subsonic powder. It's dirty at sub levels and not the quietest, but it certainly will work.

Check out viewtopic.php?f=141&t=92768 for some other ideas.
JMC8

Post by JMC8 »

Thanks, buddy, will check out the link.

I always read that A1680 was the most accurate and stable for subs, but have never heard that it was loud. Is there any powder that is known for lower signature while retaining a steady velocity? I would think A1680 would be indiscernible from any other powder behind a can.