190 SUB-X Feeding Issues

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

csteel89

190 SUB-X Feeding Issues

Post by csteel89 »

Good morning. Hopefully y’all won’t drag me for this, since it’s probably been covered before but I can’t find it with the search tool.

Setup:
300BLK SBR
8” CMMG barrel
Griffin Armament Primo N/A gas block
Bushmaster XM15 upper/lower
Standard BCG (came with the Bushmaster)
LWRCI UCIW Stock
SilencerCo Omega 300
Lancer 300BLK E-Mags

I’ve been playing around with hand loading the Hornady 190 SUB-X and I’m having feeding problems. This is the only projectile this happens with. One of two things will happen - either the nose of the projectile will end up jamming into the tip of the barrel extension, or the nose will hang up on the bottom edge of the extension. I have polished the feed ramps on the barrel extension to ensure there is no edge to catch where the upper and barrel meet, and I still have this problem.

The hand loads are with H110 and we’re running 1050 FPS. Any ideas where I should be looking?

Thanks in advance
Ape Factory

Re: 190 SUB-X Feeding Issues

Post by Ape Factory »

I'm sort of in the same boat and I haven't figured it out yet. I usually get a feed jam and/or bullet setback.

My last time out with a new barrel (Rainier Arms match grade 8.5", VSeven upper) had the last of five bullets jamming. Each ladder load had five and after the third ladder, last bullet jamming, I switched from a Lancer to a PMag, 300 blackout, Gen 2 I believe. Still had feed issues with the bullet being set back into the case.

I tried Berry's 200gr and had no feed issues despite a shorter overall cartridge length.

Bolt locks back on both bullets. Using CFE Black for powder. I'll have to dig up the rest of the specifications for the load as I don't know them off the top of my head.

It may be a cycling issue in my situation, either short cycling, cycling too fast or a combination of that along with magazine-related feed issues. This particular bullet is "problematic" for some unknown reason.

I may try seating them a bit shorter as opposed to longer and vice versa. CFE Black likes to be compressed as others have said on this forum and I validated this with the 200 grain berry's loaded at two different ogive measurements. Gas is run wide open with a silencer (OSS which is flow through, no back pressure increase).

I'll post more info when I have time later this evening but I do have another thread here with some details and photos.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I haven't loaded this particular bullet, but I have a 165 grain bullet with a similar shape that I've finally got to feed in one of my barrels but not others. It all came down to finding the magic OAL. And I ended up with a shorter OAL than I expected to get it to feed right. I still can't get it to feed in my wilson barrel, but I have a couple of cheaper barrels that I just use for subs and after trying a great number of different lengths, it finally started reliably feeding at 1.59 from the base of the cartridge to the ogive of the bullet.
Slightly stoopid

Post by Slightly stoopid »

Out of 200 I have had 1 that stuck. 10.5" tubbs spring H2 buffer 12.9 CFEBLK. COL 2.060- 2.068. Avg 1020 SD 27
I'm having some issues with powder dispensing so the stuck round was 12.7 CFEBLK. Just loaded up 50 13.0 CFEBLK and have them seated 1.370 to the top of the cannaluer. Easier to eye than the ogive. Which has them at 2.065-2.070 COL. Shot my chronograph the other day so subsonic will be judged by ear and probably during a steel shoot which is what I use these for.
gds
Silent But Deadly

Post by gds »

I have loaded and shot a lot of them. In several ARs and a AAC model 7, with so far no feeding issues.

I am using 1680 and my OAL is 2.070

Don't know if that helps.
Yes, I am a Baptist, and yes I carry a gun. You might think I carry a gun because I don't trust God. Well you would be wrong. I have complete faith in my Lord. It is mankind I have no trust in
Ape Factory

Post by Ape Factory »

I've been using CFE BLK (I know, I know but I have 8 pounds!) and the bolt is locking back no problem. Same for the Berry's 200gr I'm developing alongside, so CFE Blk definitely cycles the gun vs. some factory loads I've tried (Hornady Black 208Gr. subs for one).

I also just purchased two more Lancer mags, this time 300 blackout-specific. The fact they mention a 200 grain bullet threw me so my other Lancer mags were all 5.56. The Magpuls are 300 blackout.

Rifle is an 8.5" SBR, silenced with a Rainier Arms match-grade barrel. I also had issues with a Faxon 10.5" match grade but they were worse. That barrel shot everything else I threw at it and the gun functioned flawlessly except for the Sub-X bullets where I was getting setback.

So...last time out I had five failure to feeds with the Sub-X. After the fourth feed issue I started single loading as I wanted to at least get some data. One failure to fire with the Berry's 200 grain but related to headspace issue with the case.

My HS was 1.080 with a case length of 1.359 on my calipers. I've now determined the headspace measurement is too close to what the actual chamber dimensions are so I've moved everything back to 1.074. I've run numerous factory loads with an HS measurement in the 1.06-something range so I know I'm fine. The factory Hornady Sub-X loads measured out at around 1.078 to 1.080. I measured about 10 of them.

So last time out, I experimented with two different 0give readings.

This time around, I've loaded to three different depths
-one to the very very top of the cannelure which gives me an overall length of 2.040
Slightly stoopid

Of the feeding issues I've had, were with different rounds. First I filed down the ribs on my PMags. That help with my 195 elds. Then started playing with my spring and buffer because I was messing around with 150gr subs. I measured my gas port at one point. Pretty sure its industry standard. Don't know if any of that helps but i would start with the mags.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

For me, the flat nose bullets prefer a shorter length from base of the cartridge to ogive. The more pointy or tipped bullets seem to be fine at longer lengths. My round nose bullets are even shorter at 1.49. But I get the same type of jams that you do with flat nose bullets at longer lengths. I've only used magpul magazines. I'm not sure magazines mage a difference. The secret for me seemed to be shortening up the length from base to Ogive.
Ape Factory

Post by Ape Factory »

I've read about going shorter with the sub-x a few times which is why I'm trying the shorter length to see if it improves things. Plus, with the CFE Black, I'm at least getting a bit more seating depth which it seems to like. Was hoping to head to the range today but the forecast changed and rain expected all day. Sunny tomorrow so I'll try on Monday and report back.

On the filing of the rib thing, anyone have photos so I can see what you're referring to and what you did?
Slightly stoopid

Filing the ribs is if your using 556 mags. What charge weight are y'all using? I thinks its hornady that put out load data and for myself its seriously light. Im sub sonic at 13gr and COL 2.060+. Just blazed through 20 rounds and it cycled perfectly.
Last edited by Slightly stoopid on Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.