Looking for advice on 300 blk crimps

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Tayous1

Looking for advice on 300 blk crimps

Post by Tayous1 »

I have a Lee 300 blk crimp but have been having problems when I to go crimp my 150 gr FMJ. When I go to load the round the bullet unseats from the brass and gets stuck in the barrel.

I do a very heavy crimp or try two but the last two times I loaded these rounds a bullet has pulled out and got stuck in the barrel. It only has done it with these 150gr bullets the 130gr factory and Boolite crimp just fine and I don't have this problem.

I'm I doing something wrong ? Do I need to buy a different or new crimp? Thanks for the advice!
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking for advice on 300 blk crimps

Post by BobinNC »

OK, some questions first:

Which 150 Grain FMJ??

What's your current COAL??

And your COAL is way too long. You'll need to seat your bullet deeper.
Omega
Silent But Deadly

Post by Omega »

The Lee FCD is IMO, the best crimper out there, but you should not need to use a heavy crimp, only enough to keep the bullet in the case when firing in a semi-auto rifle. I suspect you are ramming the bullet into the lands and grooves, which you shouldn't do. I would check the headspace and keep about .02 thousands off the lands and grooves. A quick way is to use a sharpie to mark the bullet and see if it indeed touching the lands and grooves.
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
~Pericles~
AR-300
Silent But Deadly

Post by AR-300 »

What brass?
PSA 10.5" & 16'' FN CHF CL 300 AAC Blackout
hoser
Silent But Deadly

Post by hoser »

Neck tension holds the bullet in place. Crimp keeps it from moving around during feeding.

Measure the ID of a FL resized case. It should be around .303-305.
Disregarded9-Side

Post by Disregarded9-Side »

When loading 300 AAC for accuracy, consistency, do y'all find the Lee Factory Crimp die to be better than a Dillon Taper Crimp die?
I have used the Lee for years and its worked great for me, but I'm considering switching as I got to thinking that the Dillon may lead to better concentricity.
Thanks for any thoughts on this.