labeling and organizing test loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Okiedelta

labeling and organizing test loads

Post by Okiedelta »

I have tried 3-4 different methods of sorting, segregating and labeling test loads in plastic case boxes when going to the range so I can keep the data straight. Sometimes it's a post-it note inside the lid, sometimes a pre-printed label from the plastic box maker, and sometimes a piece of tape with my scribbled notes. Whatever method, I try to record loads and charges by the row and column where they are placed in the box.

There must be a better way.

What say you?
Mike
ozleux
Silent But Deadly

Re: labeling and organizing test loads

Post by ozleux »

I use a fine tip sharpie and write the chg. wt. on the case. I'm usually only testing one powder at a time. If multiple powders, I put them in separate boxes and label the box.
Malinois, it's French for "Don't get one"
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

Thanks. I have tried that a few times, and I recently saw some some gadget like a concentricity case gauge that holds a sharpie which lets you put a hash mark or a stripe for every reload.

When I prep test loads, I try to evaluate 2-3 bullet weights/types, as well as 2-3 charge weights with each bullet, and even occasionally a different primer than I usually use. To save clutter I put them all into single plastic ammo case and try to keep a row and a column separating each combo. I also use a Magnetospeed to match velocities with each cartridge, and since the Magneto data recorder doesn't allow the entry of unique identifying data other than a series number, I also have to keep notes as to which load/cartridge fits with which series.
Finding a consistent and efficient way to standardize the organization of the test cartridges would really help keep al the data matched up.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

My testing is done with one bullet and powder per plastic box with an index card that has a simple spreadsheet on it with a notes section. Typically it will just list ES, SD, avg. velocity, and notes. When I get home I compare each string to the results on the target. I save the full data on a spreadsheet on the computer for every shot I’ve taken while testing per barrel.

I’m not sure if there is a better or easier way. To me that’s pretty simple and effective. I don’t think I need more. Not for this cartridge and what my purposes are for it.

Also, I’ve found it more useful per range session to spend more time doing .1 grain increments in charge weights with the same powder and bullet, resulting in more strings shot with the same bullet/powder combo, than spending the same amount of time with less strings and greater increments in powder charge, in order to use more bullet/powder/primer combos.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

Load test cases are marked on the primer with markers in red, black, green etc. If I'm testing several loads in the same caliber I mix up the marks with large dots, slashes and so on. The label for each load/charge has the corresponding colored mark. These post-its are then taped on the target accordingly. This is pretty helpful down the road as reference info. I have a file cab used to separate by caliber and/or specific firearm. Yep, been doing this for many years. I also include the chrono data on the target. All this is needed for fading memory chip capacity :lol:
TR
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I have in the past also used just pics on my phone/cloud for storage...it works but can be difficult for large numbers of data sheets. Excel gurus have certainly utilized that format.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

I keep a reloaders log book for every load I make. I take it to the range with me, and record my observations on each load on the spot. For my 300 Blackout I use an MTM RS-50 with each load in a different row.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

sharpies man, right on the case.

you can write the powder type on one side or use shorthand

ie: LG 20.0 would mean 20 grains of lil gun, etc.

likewise for writting the bullet on there if you testing diff bullets or primers, etc.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

TRshootem wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:44 pm I have in the past also used just pics on my phone/cloud for storage...it works but can be difficult for large numbers of data sheets. Excel gurus have certainly utilized that format.
BobinNC wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:01 pm I keep a reloaders log book for every load I make. I take it to the range with me, and record my observations on each load on the spot. For my 300 Blackout I use an MTM RS-50 with each load in a different row.
Do you prepare a label or sheet for the rounds in the MTM case showing what the rounds are by row or column?
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

[/quote]
Do you prepare a label or sheet for the rounds in the MTM case showing what the rounds are by row or column?
[/quote]

Yes I do. I mark on the load book what's in each row of the MTM going right to left.