labeling and organizing test loads

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Re: labeling and organizing test loads

Post by TRshootem »

Bob, you are most definitely a organized guy. I used to do as you, seems laziness or the damn wind blew my data sheet away a few times. I also attach a chrono sheet as needed. I have some Berger 155.5 match in .308 to test tomorrow with some 8208. Best to all.

TR
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

Thank you.
I have been keeping two separate ‘books’. One is simply a range book where I note which rounds go with which series number on the chrony data, as well as weather, target distance, etc. This book stays in my range bag more or less,
I also keep a reload log as a separate record of what I do at the bench. It makes far more sense to a single book for both, and much easier to tie things together.
I appreciate your replies.
Mike
Blowout
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blowout »

I use Excel and have a template I use for all load work up. I just add in the relative information for the new load prior to loading the cases. This gets folded up and goes in the ammo box with the loads. Charge wt is written on each case with a sharpe.

After returning home the spreadsheet is updated with the velocities from the Labradar and calculations entered. The file is stored on the computer with a picture of the target embedded on the spreadsheet next to the data.

300Blk 8.0" pistol with 80% lower
Okiedelta

Post by Okiedelta »

That looks perfect.
I'm going to steal the template from you and start that process myself. I do all my what-if workups in Excel anyway, adding in the QuickLoad data to see where the differences are, so I'm already mostly there anyway.
Mike
DRB3224

Post by DRB3224 »

Mike - it seems to me that the format of the tracking sheet depends on what info you need after the range session.

If you only want to see group size, a label in the ammo container with load data would seem to do. And consider a "lot number" to put on the target so you can see how that load performed.

Blowout - thanks for posting your data sheet. I'm going to use it - realty well thought out!

Glenn