Which non-U.S.-made powder for 300BLK?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

The_Q

Which non-U.S.-made powder for 300BLK?

Post by The_Q »

Hello Guys,

I'm new here and relatively new to reloading.
Looking for suggestions from you reloading experts:
I need a powder which is NOT made in the U.S.A.
Due to the availability I would prefer "made in E.U."
So far I have had very good experiences with the H110 for 300 BLK. But since it is often difficult to get I decided to look for a substitute made in Europe.

My AR15 has a 10.3 "barrel, 1:7 twist rate. I use 125gr bullets (supersonic, of course).
I have already selected a few types of powder, but I can neither decide nor do I know whether this choice is even suitable: Vihtavuori N110 and N120 (what is the difference?) and the Reload Swiss RS30.
But, as I said, I am also happy to receive new suggestions.

Thanks in advance
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Which non-U.S.-made powder for 300BLK?

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

**EDIT** I made the below comment without noticing that you had included this info in your opening post. I see that you have already answered these questions. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can help out with the info you are looking for.

What are you looking to accomplish with the loads? Supersonic, subsonic, plinker loads, hunting loads? What bullet weights are you looking to load up?

I don't have any experience with the powders you are looking at, but I think the above info may help others give some suggestions if they have experience with them.
20X11
Silent But Deadly

Post by 20X11 »

Look into the Shooters World powders... they are really Explosia powders and the Shooters World Reloading guide will tell you which Explosia powder they have renamed.
The_Q

Post by The_Q »

20X11 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:52 am Look into the Shooters World powders... they are really Explosia powders and the Shooters World Reloading guide will tell you which Explosia powder they have renamed.
It seems that Lovex D037.2 is also a suitable powder for this caliber. Thanks for the hint.
Now I have four types of powder to choose from. That doesn't make the decision any easier :-)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Without notes I can give you a direction

Vihtavouri and Hornady will have data for
N105
N110,
n120.

Norma 200
Can use 1680 data

You will need to find the Lovex equivalents for these accurate powders

Accurate
1680/shooters world blackout/DO63.02
5744/Buffalo rifle/ DO60.01
#9/heavy pistol/DO37.02

Vectan/Nobel Sport has data for 300 Whisper
Ba9
Ba6

from memory and there are others.

N110 will be the closest to H110. It is a bit faster and will reach higher pressure at a lower velocity. Sierra also has Vihtavouri data.

#9 and N105 will work very well with bullets less than 110 grains.

Most of the other powders 1680, N120, Norma 200, 5744 work very well with bullets over 150 grains, both super and subsonic.

There is also a Lovex DO63.03 that is a little faster than 63.02. it is a little better for light supers.

Hope that will get you started.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
The_Q

Post by The_Q »

Thank you very much for the comprehensive information.
Let's see which way I will go...
karl_h

Post by karl_h »

Most comprehensive list of powder burn rates I've ever seen is here:

www.theballisticassistant.com

from the website:
The Powder Burn Rate Chart is a Reference Tool for the Approximate Burn Rates of Canister and OEM Powders. This is the most comprehensive Burn Rate Chart on the web and includes powders that may or may not be available to the US OEM or Consumer Market. Some powders listed may be obsolete and are listed for reference and completeness of the chart.

Every unique powder is listed on its own line. Powders that are the same powder are listed on a single line. For example, H110, Win 296, and WC 296 are the same powder, however, N 110 is a different powder and does not have an OEM Equivalent powder listed.

This list is constantly being revised as new powders are released or as we find new powders to list.

direct link to pdf:
https://www.theballisticassistant.com/w ... iewing.pdf

It includes powders from all over the world.
The_Q

Post by The_Q »

The list is very interesting.
It confirmed that there is no direct equivalent from any other manufacturer outside the U.S. for H110.

So I have to try other loads.

... or I get a lifelong supply of H110 by buying up the remaining stocks from all LGS :-)
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

The closest powder top H110 is Alliant MP 300. Sadly still a US made powder. If you can find that, It's a very good option. You can use H110 data, but it will take a little more powder for the same velocity, it could be considered a low performing production lot of powder. More Data for that powder is being published all the time.

As far as charts go, and that one in particular, they are always wrong for a few powders. Sadly in this case it is a very dangerous mistake with MP 300. The chart has it listed as equal to #9

A starting load for MP 300 and a 110 grain bullet would be around 17 grains, that's on the low side of starting loads. For #9, that would be a max load.

Using # 9 data for MP 300 would be very frustrating due to poor performance.

Using Mp 300 data for #9, that is more likely to start at 18+ grains and max out at 21 could ruin your day.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

Accurate #11FS is only slightly slower than H110/W296 twins (it's rightly called WC297). I see PCL512 by PB Clermont, a Euro company has a similar burn rate.

I on the other hand would take that chart with a big gain of salt, as other Burn rate charts show more realistic differences. Like this one:

https://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uplo ... .0_WEB.pdf

The burn rate chart is on page 120.

Here is yet another burn rate chart, that shows Lil Gun for example as slower than H110 and not faster.

https://www.reload-swiss.com/media/edit ... art_dt.pdf

Note: this chart above was written before the intro of Accurate#11FS and Alliant MP 300.