Problems w/Berry's 220gr subs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Problems w/Berry's 220gr subs

Post by dellet »

The problem you are having with the Berry's bullets is not due to twist rate alone, unless their bullets are just complete crap. Sadly it looks like they are admitting as much.

That bullet is rated as safe at 1300 fps in a 1/7, that's 134,000 rpm.

1000 fps 1/5 = 144,000
950 fps 1/5= 136,000

Most plain cast is easily good to 140,000
If you want to try it, drop down to your velocity a bit.

For what it's worth, I have never used any of berry's bullets.
I have shot thousands of other plated and cast bullets in an AR with a 1/5 twist. The only bullets I have had trouble with are jacketed coming apart at over 350,000 rpm. I have been shooting a 1/5 for more probably 5-6 years now.

You might be stripping the plating some how, but if it was a bullet coming apart issue, or instability due to over spinning, it would show with oblong bullet holes.

You might look closely for baffle strikes, but again that would generally show up on the holes in the target.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
savage308

Post by savage308 »

I have loaded and shot 100's of these. Very accurate at 100yds. My load is.9.0 accurate 2400. Wolf srm.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

wizzoalchemist wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:16 am

Ahhh - I must have missed that advisory on Berry's website. I'll bet that my gun's faster twist (1:5) has something to do with it. That's disappointing. Regarding the powder, I've come to the same conclusion most of y'all have about CFE BLK, which is to say I don't care for it. I don't think I'll be buying anymore. I have a decent amount of H110 so I'll keep using that, but also try A1680 and AA 11FS.

I have also ordered a Lee factory crimp die in order to try and get a more solid crimp with the 300blk rounds, both subs and supers. Hopefully that will help with more consistent ignition and pressures.

do be careful not to OVER crimp them too.

if you squeeze the case mouth enough so that it cuts into the plating, you'll have all kinds of issues to deal with that you're not doing already.

so just like testing to make sure you're belling the case mouth enough for seating, once you crimp one in an empty test case, make sure you pull it to check for damage.

had a friend some years back that his buddy decided to help him learn to reload. neither had any expierence prior to this learninjg project. blind leading the blind. said buddy made a HUGE critical error after initial testing, reseated his crimp die and didnt verify the results when he did. ended up with a MASSIVE crimp, many of them the brass was crimped flush with the bullet diameter. Jackets were completely cut, and this happened with a straight wall case (50 beowulf) at a very stout charge so not only did it screw up headspacing, but the pressure spike caused brass to seperate half way down the case. it was a dandy mess.

they got lucky nobody got hurt over that little stunt.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I'll chime in here with a point on the crimp. Just enough to hold a plated bullet and leave only a hint of evidence that you were there. The bullet core is softer than a hard cast, the Lee collet die is the ticket for easy adjustment for a light touch on the finished round. Test a couple with out powder, hammer them out with the inertia type puller for a visual cue, adjust until a faint crimp is present, test by pushing on the bullet nose on your bench 8)
kermit hunter

Post by kermit hunter »

new member here and probably late to this party....
i've recently played with these berry projectiles using lil gun for subs
i had to fool with these for quite a while before finding a sweet spot that my 8.5" liked
plus or minus just a fractional amount of powder and c.o.a.l played a crucial role
these are definitely over penetrating but really fun
Ranchodlux

Post by Ranchodlux »

What lil gun loads are working well for you?
kermit hunter

Post by kermit hunter »

Started with 9grains c.o.a.l 2.218" 1179fps
8.5gr @ 2.215" 1099fps
8gr @ 2.260" 1068fps
7.5 @ 2.150" error
7.5gr @ 2.150" error
Ditto ditto 1030fps
Same as above 1039fps
Same again 980 fps
Then tried 11pc at 7.9-8gr @ 2.150"