accurate 11fs

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

karl_h

Re: accurate 11fs

Post by karl_h »

Anyone recognize this fubar?

I had intended on spending a good bit of time Saturday working with 3 different bullets and accurate 11FS. I suspected a couple weeks ago that where I was with the 155 hornady eld-m had a somewhat significant first round and subsequent rounds impact shift so I had loaded over a week ago 6 to shoot 3 pairs of cold bore/follow up shot and had not got around to it. Friday late, I went to fire the first pair on target, and the blackout just went click. Pulled the bolt back and ejected a spent case......grrrrrr. I have never in almost 40 years poured the wrong charge in a case, broke that record with a no charge, actually 4 no charges. I weighed the remaining 5 rounds, and only two had powder in them. How in heck I ever seated 4 bullets on a primed empty case I will never know, but I obviously did it. Out of caution, I pulled the bullets on the two that were loaded, they had the correct charge in them. I have no clue how I did that.

I was so pissed, I just did work around the house and property all weekend and did no load development or shooting. Didn't get around to clearing my blackouts barrel until last night late. It was surprisingly easy to knock the bullet back out, the primer did not embed if far in the rifling. You can see the little curl of copper on the bullet and how little the plastic tip deformed pushing the bullet out, that is all the further the primer sent the bullet into the barrel.
faizanmazhar00

Post by faizanmazhar00 »

karl_h wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:41 pm I’m shooting a 9” blackout pistol(need to file a form 1 on it, pistol sucks in an AR IMO) with a faxon 5r gunner profile match barrel and always put my Griffin ultralight sportsman suppressor on it.

Just before the current shortage of everything I picked up a box of 100 Speer 130gr HP varmint bullets just to try with a larger order of powder, primers, etc.. By the time I tried the first few loads with them and discovered I liked this bullet a lot, the shortage had hit and I could not find any locally or on the web.
Not having many of the speer bullets, my load development was stuck on IMR 4227, I bought a 8lb jug of it 3 years ago since my supply was getting short. The new lot of 4227 is like a totally different powder from my 12 year old 4227. It’s more than 10% bulkier and I think it burns faster too, all my load data for it and magnums is trash fodder with the new jug. I ended up at OAL 2.045 with a slightly compressed load around 1889 fps average and ok accuracy but wanted better on both. I’m sure I could have wasted a lot of bullets and made the accuracy better testing different OAL and primers, but not having any more than the box of 100 I stopped there. With the powder’s I have, Vihta N110 would be the best choice, but I have less than half a pound of it left, is unobtainable now, and what I have is all for my 41 magnums. I won’t use W296/H110 because of its temp sensitivity and load sensitivity. I gave up on it for everything but plinking after developing a crazy accurate load in my 10 inch dan Wesson 41 mag that wouldn’t hit the side of a barn in 20 degree and less weather, and had extreme spreads of over 100fps at that temp. YMMV. For pistol length blackout, IMR4227 is about the slowest powder that is useable in my experience, fyi I count unburned powder spilling out of my suppressor as unusable. I can’t stand 1680, bought an 8lb jug of it with my blackout, worst decision ever. I use it to load very light 22lr no. 12 shot at 0.7 grains per load. It will last lifetimes at that rate. If anyone living near enough to charlotte nc, York sc or in that general area wants to trade face to face for it let me know, especially if you have speer 130 gr hp’s. I’ll keep a pound for my 22lr carpenter bee load and trade the rest away. Everything I have slower leaves tons of unburned powder.
Around 3 weeks ago I found accurate 11FS was available in many places and bought 3 lbs to play with. I’d normally only buy 1lb to test, but these days the heck with that. That meant quit dragging my feet on replacing my chrono that started to give flaky readings. I ended up with a labradar after emails with the manufacture, sending them pictures of my 2 shooting lanes with yardages for everything from trees, buildings, telephone pole, bullet path to ground clearance, just everything. They promised it would work accurately and well at short range. It does, but for 22’s and my 17hmr it’s only good at my place for 18 yards, 30 cals it’s good for 30 ish yards, 41 mag is largest I’ve shot with it and it’s good to near 35 yards. In all cases it tracks much farther, but past the yardages I listed, when looking at the traces it has the bullet doing impossible things.
Using new starline brass and with minimal load data available to start from I made up 5 rounds starting at 17.1gr and .3 gr up for each round. The last 2 at 18 and 18.3 grains landed side by side at 55 yards and were at 1965 and 1976 fps. I loaded two more at 18.3 and the next day just after sunset shot them at 55 yards, cold bore and follow up. CTC was .35 velocity was 2004 cold bore and 1981 fps immediately after. Went inside and loaded 2 at 18.6 gr for the next day with a twist, one was with a once fired and annealed starline case and one with new starline brass. After it stopped raining the next day I fired those 2 cold bore with the once fired case first, .25 CTC at 55 yards 1987 and 1985 FPS respectively. I’m sure my once fired cases have minimally greater capacity, I know the shoulders are 7 thousandths further forward on them than virgin starline brass. Normally I’d load 10 at this level and fire a string, but with so few of the bullets available I’m not going to since I really want to get over 2000fps with these. The primers look ok to me, but I’m not one who has ever intentionally pushed the limit on anything. The only time I did was by accident/stupidity nearly 40 years ago. New lot of powder and since I was nowhere near max on my old load of same powder I loaded 6 44 magnums with my old accurate load to test. I touched off one round and it was stout. Pulled the rest of the bullets, that one primer is my only personal experience seeing a flattened primer.
This is a picture of the two 18.6 grain 11fs load primers, they look fine to me but I don’t really know what one looks like if you are even getting close. All the pictures I ever see are of clearly you went too far. Are these two primers fine to increase load further?

From the 4227 loads, why I love this bullet. I’ve captured them in water jugs from 1865 fps down to 1650. I only took pictures of the first one I shot where I had a 4x4 piece of gel 1.25 inch thick suspended in front of the jugs. But the one at 1650 had close to 90% weight retention and mushroomed beautifully.
I had intended on spending a good bit of time Saturday working with 3 different bullets and accurate 11FS. I suspected a couple weeks ago that where I was with the 155 hornady eld-m had a somewhat significant first round and subsequent rounds impact shift so I had loaded over a week ago 6 to shoot 3 pairs of cold bore/follow up shot and had not got around to it.
Okay
ZemaIon

Post by ZemaIon »

Your reloading mishap is a reminder of how important it is to stay vigilant and focused when working with firearms and ammunition. It's incredible how even experienced reloaders can occasionally make mistakes, but your attention to detail in catching the error likely prevented any accidents.

Taking a break from load development and shooting to focus on other tasks around the house and property can sometimes be a refreshing change of pace, even if it comes out of frustration. It's all part of the journey in the world of firearms.

Speaking of which, I recently stumbled upon this Dan Wesson Commander Classic in .45 ACP on https://uspatriotarmory.com/product/dan ... ered-cocob. While it may not be directly related to your reloading story, it's always exciting to explore new firearms options.