All I have is Win 231 powder. What canI do with it?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

DEF

All I have is Win 231 powder. What canI do with it?

Post by DEF »

A friend loaned me a few pounds of 231 powder. I would like to use it for my 8.5", 1 in 8 twist AR pistol. Don't care if it's sub or super. Don't care what bullet weight. Any ideas?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: All I have is Win 231 powder. What canI do with it?

Post by dellet »

Do you care if the action cycles?

If the answer to that is yes, the best you can do is post your location and maybe someone has something to trade.

There are some loads listed in the subsonic single shot section for hand fed rifles

viewtopic.php?f=141&t=92768
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
DEF

Post by DEF »

Sierra Match King 175 W231 5.8 1069 10 Wolf srm 2.100
This looks interesting.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

In a 10.3" barrel I'm loading Maker 85s to 2300fps with 231 and with good accuracy.

Working on 125s at 2100 with it too. I'm using Maker bullets only because I suspect they'll expand, but I suspect non expanding 125s would work with 231. All depends what you want... just make holes or make holes and scramble things beyond the hole. Check with the bullet mfgr to see what velocity is required for expansion, but generally varmint bullets will expand at our velocity and anything else won't. Generally. Their tech lines will give you what you need.

Correction!!!!! That should be WW296! Brain fart! And that's why you don't use internet load data, and why I never give load specifics.
Last edited by BJK on Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Good luck fellas. That powder is super fast and is a shotgun powder. There is a reason it's not in the load data. Maybe the reason you may be cycling is because you are overgassed in the first place? I understand stuff is rough to find, don't screw up and double charge that, and don't think you are so good that it can't happen. I'm glad your getting to make stuff go bang, but that powder is far from optimal on MOST loads. Be careful.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Rebel, yeah, that was a brain fart. No I definitely DO NOT use 231 for Maker 85s. It's totally unsuitable as you pointed out. I made the correction. If there was a way to cross out the mistake but leave it visible I would have done so.