primer choice

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

smf834

primer choice

Post by smf834 »

Is small pistol primers ok to use on subsonic 300blk bolt gun? I know it's a gamble on the AR platform... Thanks.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Re: primer choice

Post by Sig220 »

Yep, I have used them before. The only problem using small rifle in a pistol is that usually are a bit harder to light off. The striker fired pistols don't help any, either. Just treat them like a new primer till you feel safe....start a tad low and work up your load.
smf834

Post by smf834 »

The bolt gun is 16” barrel, if it matters.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Try what you can get at this point. With a bolt gun at least you are not troubled with a free floating pin.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
Sig220
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sig220 »

Sig220 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:26 pm Yep, I have used them before. The only problem using small rifle in a pistol is that usually are a bit harder to light off. The striker fired pistols don't help any, either. Just treat them like a new primer till you feel safe....start a tad low and work up your load.
I should add because what I posted is how I have cross used primers before. Your case is the opposite and I don't see a problem in a bolt gun but would be aware if in a AR for instance....as rebel posted. It has been a looong day!
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depends on what small pistol primer, combined with what powder.

Most magnum primers would be fine with most subsonic loads.

Some regular pistol primers will have problems with the very fast powders in some bolt gun specific sub loads.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
smf834

Post by smf834 »

Thanks. I couldn't find any small rifle primers right now, but i do have some Winchester small pistol primer (non-magnum). I have 1680, lil'gun, and 4827 at my disposal. Probably using on a 200gr pill to start with. I am new to 300blk reloading, but have done much more loading with 308 and 30-06 and etc... Any help is much appreciated.
dellet wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:20 am Depends on what small pistol primer, combined with what powder.

Some regular pistol primers will have problems with the very fast powders in some bolt gun specific sub loads.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

smf834 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:45 am Thanks. I couldn't find any small rifle primers right now, but i do have some Winchester small pistol primer (non-magnum). I have 1680, lil'gun, and 4827 at my disposal. Probably using on a 200gr pill to start with. I am new to 300blk reloading, but have done much more loading with 308 and 30-06 and etc... Any help is much appreciated.
dellet wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:20 am Depends on what small pistol primer, combined with what powder.

Assuming a typo and that's 4227, then the only powder listed you may have an issue with would be Lil'gun. By that I mean that you might look at the primer and think you are seeing high pressure signs when it's more of a soft primer issue. You might even pierce a primer.

No real safety issue, but blowing holes in primers can be hard on the bolt face. Just pay attention to what th primers are telling you.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

Yep, Winchesters are soft - thinner anvil. Take that into consideration as dellet said.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
smf834

Post by smf834 »

i will probably play it safe, and wait till i find some more proper primers. Thank you.