All around bullet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

karl_h

Re: All around bullet?

Post by karl_h »

dellet wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:47 am How do you like that powder?

Either not too many using it or at least not writing about it. I found it pretty easy to work with and very good too end velocities.

Have you tried subs?
So far I like 11FS well enough for supersonics , getting ok ES. Need to play with crimp and OAL a bit and see if I can get ES down with a little more/less compression or crimp. Seems to work decent with hornady 155 eld-m, only done some preliminary work with it and realised for my purposes the 130 speer beats the pants off the eld-m in accuracy so kind of stopped doing anything with the eld-m. On the hornady, tried IMR4227, reloader 7 both of which I have no notes for as I only wrote "NO" in my excel spreadsheet for those two powders and the eld-m. As I recall, really low velocity and high ES. I'm betting more crimp would help.

I had plan on trying 11FS in 41 and 44 mag.

I very minimally tried 11FS subsonic with nosler 220 ballistic tips. I gave up fairly quickly since I have a great load with VV N110 for it and the 11FS loads I tried didn't come close to N110 for accuracy and really low single digit ES. Out of 24 of the current n110 loads that I have had the labradar out, 22 are between 1049 and 1054 fps(about even between cold bore and follow up shots), one at 1059, and just yesterday I had a cold bore shot go 1065. Here is the picture of that jacket recovered from water jugs at 109 yards, didn't recover that slug as it exited 3rd jug high and left missing 4th jug. Reset jugs and next shot was 1052, jacket exited side of 2nd jug and couldn't find it, recovered that slug. It is common for the core to go offline in the 3rd water jug(entry still on line from aimpoint on first jug), I'd guess at least 80% of them do, maybe one in 5 is captured in back of 4th water jug. I've shot a lot of them into water.

FYI, I always have suppressor on the blackout, I generally use new starline blackout brass, when I use fired starline brass I anneal it, CCI small rifle primers, I've tried CCI magnum primers and have always had better/same results using their standard in blackout, faxon 9" 5r match barrel 1-8 twist.

Here is the note I left myself in my excel spreadsheet for the 11FS and 220 ballistic tip, it's not detailed(missing several OAL and powder charges i tried), nor coherent. I gave up on it quick for the 220 ballistic tip, hence not transcibing scribbled notes into excel. The Nosler ballistic tip is the only bullet I use for subsonic, tried sub-x but the nosler is better in every way over the sub-x for me. The nosler always sheds it jacket in water, even over 100 yards, and in the one deer I shot with it so far judging by wound channels through onside lung reaching second lung. Shedding a jacket doesn't bother me at all as long as it still works and mushroomed core exits, actually it is another good wound channel.

Nosler 220BT 9.2 grains 2.094 OAL new starline brass. 1122 fps. 2.011 OAL 8.7 grains 1087 fps. 2.011 OAL 8.5 grains 1059 fps. Decent accuracy, not really that good. First round cold bore out of group always, unacceptable. Played with shortening OAL to make it closer to 100% fill, accuracy went to hell big time. Went to all the magazine could handle, accuracy not there, cold bore shot worse than before.