All around bullet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Condor1970

All around bullet?

Post by Condor1970 »

I am currently experimenting with a few different bullets. I loaded up some 190gr Hornady Sub-x with about 9.2gr Lil Gun for my suppressor as a home defense cartridge, but without the suppressor, it won't cycle properly.

I usually used Hornady 125gr FMJ-BT for plinking, as it doesnt' seem like it would be best for a home defense bullet.

But now, I ordered a bunch of 130gr Speer Hollow Points. Loaded with 17gr Lil gun, it will be louder with a suppressor (obviously), but maybe good for home defense. I have heard guys saying in a 308 it is accurate and fantastic for deer. I'm starting to think a hollow point in 300blk may be a good Home Defense round, yet also affordable enough for plinking. Sort of a Jack of all Trades.

My concern with using 130gr HP, is potential over penetration and minimal wound cavity for a home defense round.

Any thoughts on this?
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Re: All around bullet?

Post by BobinNC »

My thought are as follows:

For Home Defense I prefer either the Hornaday 110 grain VMax or the Nosler 110 grain Varmageddon over a stout load of Lil'Gun. But good luck finding any of those 2 bullets in today's market. I have about 600 left to still load, and I'm not parting with any.

That said, any expanding 30 caliber bullet under 150 grains should work well for HD in a 300 Blackout. You load and shoot what you can get, not necessarily what you'd prefer.

Of the 30 cal bullets Speer makes for the 300 Blackout I like the 125 TNT a bit better, cause it's lighter and has a better BC than the 130 grain varmint. But since they are also made from rare unobtainium, if you can get the 130's in quantity go for it, work up a good load and hit what your aiming at.

It should work nicely for your intended uses.....

IMHO and YMMV

https://reloadingdata.speer.com/downloa ... ut_130.pdf

viewtopic.php?t=94313
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

My favorites are the 110 VMAX and 110 Tac TX. For home defense, I'm not worried about the noise. My top concerns are performance and reliability.

One thing I would caution you on is make sure that the bullet you choose will expand at 300 AAC velocities up to the distance that you intend to shoot, if you are shooting a bullet that you want to expand. Many hunting bullets for the 308 Winchester are designed to expand at 308 Winchester velocities. For plinking and target shooting, it doesn't really matter. But if you are looking for an expanding bullet for home defense or hunting, you want to make sure they'll expand at the velocity that your barrel will propel them to at a particular distance.
Condor1970

Post by Condor1970 »

110gr V-Max was actually my first choice. However, it's unobtanium right now. They are also a bit more pricey for plinking. I try to keep my plinking rounds under $25/100ct if possible.

I did order up 500rds of Speer 130gr HP's. (not the varmint bullets). Also the 130gr HP's are less than $20/100ct. This makes them not only cheaper to shoot regularly for practice, but also a potential HD round. The "potential" HD round is what peeks my interest.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

Condor1970 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:08 pm 110gr V-Max was actually my first choice. However, it's unobtanium right now. They are also a bit more pricey for plinking. I try to keep my plinking rounds under $25/100ct if possible.

I did order up 500rds of Speer 130gr HP's. (not the varmint bullets). Also the 130gr HP's are less than $20/100ct. This makes them not only cheaper to shoot regularly for practice, but also a potential HD round. The "potential" HD round is what peeks my interest.
Whatcha talking about Willis?? Speer only makes two 30 caliber 130 grain Bullets: #2005 & #2007 listed below.

Speer's 130 Grain Varmint HP #2005 do indeed sell for less than .20 cent a bullet. And #2007 has no hollow point at all.

https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle_bul ... -2005.html

https://www.speer.com/bullets/rifle_bul ... -2007.html
Condor1970

Post by Condor1970 »

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... -100-count

Well, unless they're actually another brand, they are listed as Speer. I do like the design. Appears to have a noticeably wide hollow point. However, they are different in that they don't have the cloverleaf type nose the 130gr varmint rounds do.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Condor1970 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:34 am https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... -100-count

Well, unless they're actually another brand, they are listed as Speer. I do like the design. Appears to have a noticeably wide hollow point. However, they are different in that they don't have the cloverleaf type nose the 130gr varmint rounds do.
Midsouth id’s that bullet as the 130 Varmint that Bob linked above.
30 Caliber .308 Diameter 130 Grain Hollow Point 100 Count

Speer # 2005 | Item # 021-2005
I understand wanting a cheap plinking bullet, I can’t comprehend a cheap “maybe it will work when I need it” defensive bullet.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
BobinNC
Silent But Deadly

Post by BobinNC »

Condor1970 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:34 am https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... -100-count

Midsouth may not call them a varmint bullet, but Speer who makes them certainly does.

The cloverleaf nose design your speaking about belongs to Sierra Bullets, not Speer. Link below:

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/3 ... varminter/

So right church (a 30 caliber varmint type bullet), but wrong pew.....

Actually most of the 30 cal Varmint bullets were design to explode at high velocity, from 308's and the like, which the 300 Blackout fails to deliver. The Blackout is hard pressed to exceed 2200 FPS in 130 - 135 grain weights. But usually that's OK as using them in a Blackout yields deceit, but not explosive, expansion within it's limited velocity envelope.

Now whether this particular is suitable for HD needs, is subject to testing, but lacking any better bullets (as they are all on backorder) in current market, these are likely better than any FMJ's from a 300 Blackout.

Best of luck...
Condor1970

Post by Condor1970 »

dellet wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 am

I understand wanting a cheap plinking bullet, I can’t comprehend a cheap “maybe it will work when I need it” defensive bullet.
Reality is, any 300blk bullet will kill you. Just depends on how well it will do the job. If it is in fact a Varmint bullet, then hopefully with a good charge it will fracture well enough on impact. Maybe a test with an old ham, or pork shoulder will give a good indication of that. I have no gel.

And yes, they are classified as Varmint. I got them confused with the Sierra bullet. My bad.

Now, to find out if anyone has ever had success with IMR-800x powder. I got a whole 8lbs of it, and can't find Lil Gun anywhere.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Condor1970 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:00 am
dellet wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:32 am

Reality is, any 300blk bullet will kill you. Just depends on how well it will do the job. If it is in fact a Varmint bullet, then hopefully with a good charge it will fracture well enough on impact. Maybe a test with an old ham, or pork shoulder will give a good indication of that. I have no gel.

And yes, they are classified as Varmint. I got them confused with the Sierra bullet. My bad.

Now, to find out if anyone has ever had success with IMR-800x powder. I got a whole 8lbs of it, and can't find Lil Gun anywhere.
The potential problems with a varmint rated hollow point bullet for defense include, under/over/unpredictable penetration. Shooting a roast or even plain gel for that matter, will only tell what the bullet will do against a naked, skinless attacker.

Most hollow points rely on hydraulic pressure to expand and that’s why so many that look good in gel, fail in the real world. The tip plugs with cloth and prevent expansion in tissue. They are no better than a flat point FMJ. Too much penetration.

Others designed to not exit on thin skinned, light weight animals will start to expand before making it through a heavy jacket, under penetration.

Get a bullet outside it’s intended impact velocity and it’s a crap shoot what it will do so testing for those conditions Is a must. Depending what the target is wearing you could have a bullet passing through one and the next two rooms, and then no penetration on the next on through the door.

Somewhere buried in memory was a test of the Speer 130 varmint bullet and at normal velocity passed though about 12 pieces of dry wall. My memory is the equivalent of 5 walls of 5/8” thick board. It did penetrate slightly less than a pellet from 12 gauge 00 shot tho.

As far as 800X, never tried it. But based on comparable powders of similar burn rate, you won’t get near top velocity for the weight class of bullet before max pressure, and highly unlikely to cycle an AR.

Look forward to seeing some test results so we all have a better idea of how it performs
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.