Replicating the Barnes 110 gr. VOR-TX 300 Blackout Factory Load

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Replicating the Barnes 110 gr. VOR-TX 300 Blackout Factory Load

Post by dellet »

This is from an early comparison of the Barnes ammo. The numbers have held close over the years.

300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
md66948

Post by md66948 »

Regaj wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:57 pm
md66948 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:15 am It seems everyone has been shooting with a 16" barrel. Has anyone tested the Barnes 110 VT with an 8.5" barrel?
I've put a fair number of rounds down a 7" barrel. I've got chrono numbers. And rough, non-definitive accuracy results. But my PDW wears a red dot rather than a magnified optic and so I haven't spent much time trying to assess accuracy in any kind of rigorous way.

What I can say is that velocity drop-off from a 16" barrel to a 7" (or your 8.5") platform is significant... but pretty much exactly what you'd expect. Barnes specs their factory VOR-TX load at 2350 fps. I consistently see just over 2300 fps from a 16" platform, and just over 2000 fps out of my 7" PDW.

Accuracy of the factory load is more than good enough for self-defense, or hunting. Crafting handloads that better Barnes factory effort in either accuracy or velocity is not difficult.
Thank You for the info.

I am planning to reload. I was going to start at 19.2 gr of H110 and work my way up to 20.2 grs at .2 gr increments.
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

md66948 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:55 pm
I am planning to reload. I was going to start at 19.2 gr of H110 and work my way up to 20.2 grs at .2 gr increments.

That ladder should put you right in the sweet spot of what works for that bullet and that powder (as long as you're not using X-TREME brass). Let us know how it goes.
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

What would be a good CBTO/COAL starting length for the 110 Tac-Tx for a bolt action ? Seems like most start at 2.250 ? How much is too much ?
Regaj
Silent Operator

Post by Regaj »

Magazine size is going to be the first constraint on maximum COAL for most guns, including many bolt guns.

Second constraint is going to be bullet seating depth - the amount of shank bearing surface in contact with the cartridge case neck. The Barnes VOR-TX is a physically long bullet, and seated at 2.250 extends into nearly the entire length of the case neck, so you've got some room to play there, but you (usually) don't want to lose too much neck tension.

Those two issues aside, there's no reason not to load a round as long as you wish, up to the point where the ogive of the bullet is actually touching the lands, the "jam" length. Indeed, a classic accurizing technique after optimizing for ignition and barrel harmonics via charge weight is to run a seating depth ladder. For many rifles, their absolute best accuracy is to be found anywhere from a thousandth to a few thousandths off of jam length.

Edit: As a purely practical matter, I think 2.250 is a perfectly fine COAL for that bullet.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

Depends on your shooting style and what you are trying to do,

A bolt action with an AICS pattern magazine can be loaded to around 2.500". The Barnes jams around 2.410" if I remember right and leaves plenty of bullet in the neck by some peoples standards. Don't be afraid to experiment.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... benchrest/
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

dellet wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:29 pm Depends on your shooting style and what you are trying to do,

A bolt action with an AICS pattern magazine can be loaded to around 2.500". The Barnes jams around 2.410" if I remember right and leaves plenty of bullet in the neck by some peoples standards. Don't be afraid to experiment.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/201 ... benchrest/
Always appreciate your input Dellet. I’ll experiment a little starting at 2.28 to 2.32.
DaedalusX
Silent Operator

Post by DaedalusX »

My I broke my magnetospeed strap before I could chrono my 110 Tac-Tx but I was at 2315 fps with 110 Vmax @ 20.2 H110 2.14 oal, I'd assume it's pretty close with the Barnes.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

I apologize if this doesn't belong in this thread. But I've been trying to tweak this load for my own barrel. And it occurred to me that having grouped different charge weights of H110 with this bullet, and found which one my barrel likes best, I may be skewing the results with the suppressor on. I'm not asking if suppressors contribute to accuracy. But What I'm wondering is if I need to work up the load to find the most accurate charge weight for both the suppressor on and the suppressor off, if I wish to shoot the most accurate load for each configuration? Or, is the most accurate charge of H110 under this bullet going to be the most accurate charge in both configurations, with the suppressor on or off?

The reason I've worked it up with the suppressor on was to rattle the neighbors house a bit less until the rifle range opens back up. And I'm wondering now if that data is only good for the barrel with the suppressor on, and if there will be another load with this bullet with a different charge weight that is more accurate with the suppressor off.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I would work the load up just as I will shoot it.

With that said, I get very little group size difference with and without the suppressor attached, and only a slight POI change.

If there were dramatic changes within 200 yards I would try a bit harder to get the load settled down or possibly be shopping for a new suppressor if it effected the shot placement that much.

If you look at equipment lists for precision shooters in competition, generally the suppressors used are not the same ones you find getting rave reviews by the tactical crowd. The precision guys are worried about accuracy, the tactical guys want to know how many mag dumps they can do before the can melts.

Different priorities.