125 grain nosler ballistic tips

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Re: 125 grain nosler ballistic tips

Post by Whole Bunches »

Been shooting/reloading the Nosler 125 BT in the Blackout for years and have taken 10 deer, 7 hogs, and 3 coyotes with it. I'm one whose reloads with it use a heavier powder charge, paying attention to the oal used in MY guns.

LC formed brass, no crimp, no anneal
Wolf/Tula KVB223M primers (CCI 41 gives same accuracy and velocity, but in some guns needing a click or 2 of sight-in correction at 100yd when originality sighted in with Wolf/Tula primers)
Nosler 125gr BT
19.0gr H110 with an oal of 2.2" OR 18.7gr H110 with an oal of 2.1" (both giving about the same velocity)

I've found that normally a new Blackout will like one of the above loads, so I test each bbl with both reloads. Exception: While 19.0gr H110 shot nicely accurate in my Handi Rifle, pressures were grossly high. 18.2gr H110 at 2.2" oal performed will in the Handi. Even my 1 in 6" twist SIG MCX Blackout bbl shoots them accurately.

On deer, the Nosler has performed perfectly for me. On larger male hogs hit in the shield area, I felt it could use a bit more penetration so I switched to the Barnes 110gr black tip to get a couple more inches of penetration. 120 pound or less boars and any size sow, the Nosler did fine. On 2 coyotes, hit from the side, the Noslers didn't seem to open up much, requiring multiple hits. 1 coyote hit from the front going into the chest, the Noslers did fine. I've bought thousands of them as 2nds from Nosler; could find no difference in performance between them and firsts.

And this bears repeating: Note that I am using differing (and longer) oal's than some manuals, data, and individuals use, giving more powder capacity and less bullet jump to the lands.
tfbit
Silent But Deadly

Post by tfbit »

18.5gr is Hodgdon's current, lawyer approved, maximum H110 load for a 125gr bullet. I go 18.6gr at 2.090" OAL with the Nosler 125gr BTs and get right at 2200 FPS out of my Daniel Defense 16" barrel. 1.25" 100 yard groups all day long...
No matter what you read on the intarweb CCI450s and CCI41s ARE NOT BALLISTICALLY IDENTICAL with H110! I'm also not a intarweb lawyer so I don't argue with anyone who is.
RKB731

Post by RKB731 »

I have used that bullet with 18 grains 0f W296 at 2.080" OAL for 1973 fps. from a 10.5" barrel. 100 yard groups measured 1.8"
NRA Life Member
HHI # 8053
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"
bohuntr

Post by bohuntr »

ThreeHundredBlackout wrote:
bohuntr wrote:
bohuntr wrote:
Btw, my barrel is a 16" stainless with a 1-8" twist
I've also got lil'gun powder..so suggestions are welcome
Suggestion:

Be careful loading supers with lilgun !

I was shooting a load work up with 110gr v-max supers and had no pressure signs and the last round i shot got the extractor side of the rim ripped off, i stopped that load test and when i got home i started looking at velocities and i was getting extreme spreads over 300-350 fps (i trickle weighed all the exact same charges by hand and even weight sorted bullets).

On the other hand, the 125 nosler shot awesome for me with a coal 2.150" and shooting CFE BLK. (It wont get the velocity of H110 but it shoots awesome. I would post my charge weight but its on the high side ( i dont want to leave info that someone might start at on accident).
I haven't even opened up the Lil gun powder yet...sounds like I need to go with a little longer c.o.l. and reduce powder charge a bit (h110)...I've also got some accubond 125's...some people like them for hunting,others don't..
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/ ... -blackout/

for anyone who isn't aware - nosler publishes some of its load data online - including the 125 BT for the blackout. Just click on the 125gr tab.

there's NO reason why you cant use lil gun for supers with that bullet - or a fairly wide selection of other lighter for caliber bullets in the blackout - it works just fine and dandy as long as you follow standard load development methods and watch for pressure signs in all the correct areas. Yes it does run a little hot (as in physical temperature, not related to the burn rate!) but for a jacketed bullet of this type that's not going to be an issue. If you're planning to do a lot of rapid fire/mag dumps it might not be the best choice, or when using non-gas checked cast bullets for supers (I don't recommend this with lil gun at all - bad leading potential) but plenty of us run Lil Gun as a more than suitable powder for this caliber with great results with a lot of different projectiles.

it happens to be my go-to powder for supers with the 125 SST and the 123 SST/VMAX/ZMAX. I've run the SST up to 20 grains of it at book COAL (2.100) without any pressure signs and when I tested it with the 123zmax I had a SD of 3.3 at 19 grains @ 2.082 COAL.

obviously you need to test this kind of stuff yourself with a proper load development to make sure that your lot number and chamber agree as well as mine do, but its doable for sure.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
Whole Bunches
Silent But Deadly

Post by Whole Bunches »

cwlongshot wrote:Image

What OAL is that data for please?

Edited to add: The Nosler website today says the tested OAL with the Nosler 125gr BT was 2.060" with a max load of 18.0gr H110 and a load density of 96%. Of course, just because I've fired thousands of my reloads does not mean they are safe in other firearms. Always start low and work up. Note: I failed my own advice when I tested the Noslers in my Handi and had a case separation and stuck case in the chamber when I tried my existing hand loads for accuracy.
cwlongshot
Silent But Deadly

Post by cwlongshot »

Thats all there is... Thats what comes in the box of 125g BT projectiles.

I seat mine at max OAL for the magazine, 2.260".

CW
A Bolt, Single Shot and a few M$Rs

Join me on RUMBLE! Https://rumble.com/user/cwlongshot

https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I PROUDLY SUPPORT LAW ENFORCEMENT & OUR TROOPS
willyp19

Post by willyp19 »

Thanks for all the great load info.