All around bullet?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade, bamachem

bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Re: All around bullet?

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:26 am Midsouth id’s that bullet as the 130 Varmint that Bob linked above.
Speer # 2005 | Item # 021-2005
Look forward to seeing some test results so we all have a better idea of how it performs
I tested one of these today. Rather than start a new post I'll drop it here. Shot into gel at ~2050 fps. Bullet penetrated 15" and expanded to nearly 3/4" at the widest. It shed some very small pieces of jacket at about 2" in but still weighed 127 grains. This thing holds together a lot better than the Sierra 135 varmint bullet, which in my testing completely disintegrated at a little slower velocity.

Given that the Gold Dot is nowhere to be seen, I wouldn't feel too bad about hunting with this. Self defense, I'll stick with the 12 gauge.
Last edited by bangbangping on Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

What bullet is that?
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst, boing or explode, it's not worth shooting.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

strobro32 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:38 am What bullet is that?
Speer 130.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:37 am
Speer 130.
As flat as that bullet is, I bet the wound channel was pretty big and likely tumbled.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

dellet wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:23 am
bangbangping wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:37 am
Speer 130.
As flat as that bullet is, I bet the wound channel was pretty big and likely tumbled.
Yeah, big wound channel from about 1.5" to 12", biggest at about 5" in. Beyond that it's hard to say as my Clear Ballistics has been reused enough that it's no longer clear.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

When it comes to self defense, what price do you place on your own butt? Don't look for budget options there. These are rough times to find bullets that work for anything. That being said there is no all purpose 300 BLK bullet. Keep looking and test what you have.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

I bought about 500 of those 130 HP's, certain that the bullet with the big mouth would be a beast on critters with various leg counts. Turns out they are very accurate indeed. A fellow I chat with elsewhere has used them in his .308 on small to medium game, and no, I don't want to see the photos!
ironhead7544

Post by ironhead7544 »

The Speer 130 gr HP is a good bullet. I use it for practice loads in 308 and 30-06 with a minimum charge of almost any suitable powder. Never used it on game.

I would call Speer and ask about expansion at 300 BO velocities.

Or, get a 9mm AR15 and suppressor. The 147 gr HP bullets are designed to work at 1050 fps.
karl_h

Post by karl_h »

The #2005 speer 130 gr hp varmint bullet is my favorite supersonic bullet by a large margin in the 300 blackout. I shoot a pistol with a 9” faxon 5R match barrel 1-8 twist. The bullet stays together and mushrooms perfectly at close range of 15 yards and at 109 yards in gallon water jugs. Strange yardage, but my “long range” target is 110 yards by chance, it is between two posts just at the beginning of steep red clay bank just past the barn shooting off my front deck. The water jugs set up in front of it. The bullets start expanding in way less than 1 inch of penetration. Shots up close are generally stopping in 4th gallon jug, sometimes with a dent in back, sometimes just barely pushing through but not entering 5th, and I had one that kind of just dribbled into the front of the 5th. Perfect deer round for broadside lung shooting, I’d stay away from the shoulders. I made up some knox gelatin in a small Tupperware container(less than 1.5” thick), put it in a 1 quart Ziploc bag so I could hang it in front of the water jugs. I can’t find the 109 yard picture, only the one at 15 yards. They looked nearly identical anyway. I took this picture when I was working with IMR4227 and didn’t get the velocity I wanted, this picture is at roughly 1860 FPS muzzle velocity from labradar, shot at 15 yards.

mushroom and weight retention at 15 and 109 yards with IMR4227.
I'm now using accurate 11FS and am pushing 2000 fps, bullet mushrooms in water perfectly and stays together, retaining around 5-10 % less weight than when I was using IMR4227 around 1860 fps muzzle velocity. At the higher velocity bullet always is inside 4th water jug and doesn’t reach the back of it.
I had a problem with a few groundhogs around my barn and apple trees, over the course of 3 weeks, 3 were dumb enough to be out in daylight, I haven’t seen any signs of groundhogs since so I think those 3 were the only ones around. One I was just setting up my Ruger 17hmr to shoot groups and shot a 10lb+ groundhog at roughly 80 yards, rolled on his back and didn’t move. A few days later I was going out to smoke a cigarette and saw another groundhog almost the same size, I had my blackout out earlier working on Nosler 220 ballistic tips and it was just inside on the couch so I grabbed it. That groundhog was almost the same size as first, shot it around 75 yards and the nosler did a number on it, pretty big exit shot through shoulder and out half way down body, DRT. A couple weeks later a smaller groundhog came out as I was about to shoot a couple groups with the speer 130 with 11FS around 2000 fps muzzle velocity. The speer tore it up at close to 90 yards, it was a mess.
I think the speer 130 is the perfect all around bullet in the blackout, given it’s price, it is beyond perfect in my opinion. Could you do something better in a particular situation with something else? I’m sure you could, but it would not be a good bullet for something else. The speer just covers all bases well, maybe not perfect for what you want but still good.

Edited to add: No load I tried, no OAL was anything but accurate, the bullet just doesn't care how you send it down the barrel in my pistol. The worst groups I got were as nearly as good as the best of any bullet I've loaded for it and way better than any of the factory rounds I shot.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

karl_h wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:09 am The #2005 speer 130 gr hp varmint bullet is my favorite supersonic bullet by a large margin in the 300 blackout. I shoot a pistol with a 9” faxon 5R match barrel 1-8 twist. The bullet stays together and mushrooms perfectly at close range of 15 yards and at 109 yards in gallon water jugs. Strange yardage, but my “long range” target is 110 yards by chance, it is between two posts just at the beginning of steep red clay bank just past the barn shooting off my front deck. The water jugs set up in front of it. The bullets start expanding in way less than 1 inch of penetration. Shots up close are generally stopping in 4th gallon jug, sometimes with a dent in back, sometimes just barely pushing through but not entering 5th, and I had one that kind of just dribbled into the front of the 5th. Perfect deer round for broadside lung shooting, I’d stay away from the shoulders. I made up some knox gelatin in a small Tupperware container(less than 1.5” thick), put it in a 1 quart Ziploc bag so I could hang it in front of the water jugs. I can’t find the 109 yard picture, only the one at 15 yards. They looked nearly identical anyway. I took this picture when I was working with IMR4227 and didn’t get the velocity I wanted, this picture is at roughly 1860 FPS muzzle velocity from labradar, shot at 15 yards.

mushroom and weight retention at 15 and 109 yards with IMR4227.
I'm now using accurate 11FS and am pushing 2000 fps, bullet mushrooms in water perfectly and stays together, retaining around 5-10 % less weight than when I was using IMR4227 around 1860 fps muzzle velocity. At the higher velocity bullet always is inside 4th water jug and doesn’t reach the back of it.
I had a problem with a few groundhogs around my barn and apple trees, over the course of 3 weeks, 3 were dumb enough to be out in daylight, I haven’t seen any signs of groundhogs since so I think those 3 were the only ones around. One I was just setting up my Ruger 17hmr to shoot groups and shot a 10lb+ groundhog at roughly 80 yards, rolled on his back and didn’t move. A few days later I was going out to smoke a cigarette and saw another groundhog almost the same size, I had my blackout out earlier working on Nosler 220 ballistic tips and it was just inside on the couch so I grabbed it. That groundhog was almost the same size as first, shot it around 75 yards and the nosler did a number on it, pretty big exit shot through shoulder and out half way down body, DRT. A couple weeks later a smaller groundhog came out as I was about to shoot a couple groups with the speer 130 with 11FS around 2000 fps muzzle velocity. The speer tore it up at close to 90 yards, it was a mess.
I think the speer 130 is the perfect all around bullet in the blackout, given it’s price, it is beyond perfect in my opinion. Could you do something better in a particular situation with something else? I’m sure you could, but it would not be a good bullet for something else. The speer just covers all bases well, maybe not perfect for what you want but still good.

Edited to add: No load I tried, no OAL was anything but accurate, the bullet just doesn't care how you send it down the barrel in my pistol. The worst groups I got were as nearly as good as the best of any bullet I've loaded for it and way better than any of the factory rounds I shot.
How do you like that powder?

Either not too many using it or at least not writing about it. I found it pretty easy to work with and very good too end velocities.

Have you tried subs?
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.