Ammo. What do you buy what do you reload?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

Tayous1

Ammo. What do you buy what do you reload?

Post by Tayous1 »

I cast and reload for the 300blk AR. I'm no expert when it comes to reloading the 300 blk as it seems lightweight bullets don't like semi-auto.

I'm looking for my 300 blk to take on another roll of kind of truck gun. I was wanting to hear people's opinions about factory ammo would you buy the nice 115gr V-max or 147 gr FMJ?

115 gr V-max was only brought up because it's what I have loaded and am ready to load. I'm kind of in that boat of buying factory since this will be a self-defense role be it SD ammo or FMJ.

I like to hear what you all have to say.
popper
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ammo. What do you buy what do you reload?

Post by popper »

Assume you mean close SD. I use a 170 or 185gr RD style cast and 2400 powder. ~1400 fps. Lancer mags. 110 Vmax,125 SST or 145gr cast for hogs. 150 BO GD is a SD ammo. But they ain't cheap.
attila.
Silent But Deadly

Post by attila. »

Tayous1 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:18 pm I cast and reload for the 300blk AR. I'm no expert when it comes to reloading the 300 blk as it seems lightweight bullets don't like semi-auto.

I'm looking for my 300 blk to take on another roll of kind of truck gun. I was wanting to hear people's opinions about factory ammo would you buy the nice 115gr V-max or 147 gr FMJ?

115 gr V-max was only brought up because it's what I have loaded and am ready to load. I'm kind of in that boat of buying factory since this will be a self-defense role be it SD ammo or FMJ.

I like to hear what you all have to say.
I’ve never heard of 115 V-max. The 110 V-max is great. I’d much prefer the V-max over FMJ for self defense.

I keep some factory Barnes Vor-tx loaded for emergencies. I wouldn’t hesitate to use handloads after the Barnes is exhausted. The Barnes is actually the only factory ammo that I’ve ever bought or used in my 300BLK.

Some have said that using handloads for self defense can be misconstrued/distorted when in post-incident court. Idk how much truth here is to that.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I have bought factory ammo but have never been very impressed with the subsonic variety. I bought one box of subsonic that would cycle my semi the rest are made to go bang, and they definitely do that, but the boxes don't state that the ammo is intended for a manual action. It's easy to make a bullet come out of a muzzle. Harder to make it work as it should in a semi-auto. Supersonic bullets, including light ones, are easy to make work in a semi-auto. Plenty of gas there to work with.

What do I reload for my 10" semi-auto? Everything that isn't experimental factory garbage. Ammo that I want to actually shoot and not bronze and put on display because it's so expensive. What do I load? Maker 85s @ 2300fps, subsonic home cast 220s, more bullets on the shelf that I haven't gotten to yet. Basically if I want it to work in my gun I reload it. I no longer have any confidence that factory ammo will do anything more than go bang.

The one box of factory ammo that did work? Ammo Inc. /stelTH/ 220gr TMC ammo. But it was expensive so while it works The one box I bought is all I'll ever buy of it. It was $30/20. My 220 TMC loads also work and are much less costly.

https://ammoinc.com/stelth/