Hornady 190 sub ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

der Teufel

Re: Hornady 190 sub ?

Post by der Teufel »

I did load up some VMAX 110 grain bullets, and they worked just as well as the 110 grain SP bullets, but not really any better in my opinion. Since the SPs are cheaper I just use them.
A subsonic round is still pretty noisy. You don't get the supersonic 'crack' of the bullet breaking the sound barrier, but the noise from the shot, while less than when using supersonics, is still pretty loud. That's true even using a suppressor, which I do. As mentioned, the sound of the bullet smacking into a hog is also pretty loud, and if the hog squeals or thrashes, that's definitely a warning sign to the rest.
In summary, using subsonics with a suppressor doesn't fool the hogs into not knowing you're shooting at them. They typically take off like greased pinballs on fire at the first shot, regardless of ammo or suppressor.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
Roadrunner1969

Re: Hornady 190 sub ?

Post by Roadrunner1969 »

Agree with what der Teuful said. The thump from the bullets hitting the hogs may be louder than the report from the rifle, but it will sure scatter the hogs. I've shot most of the hogs on my place with supersonics, some suppressed and some not. A new neighbor recently moved into a house about 200 yards from mine. I only have 3 houses closeby mine, and the other 3 sides are bordered by National Forest. Nevertheless, I am going to very quiet subs so as to not draw attention to myself.