Hornady 190 sub ?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Hornady 190 sub ?

Post by bearcatrp »

Anyone shoot these at 100 yards? Looking for any info/pics of kills and recovered bullet at 100 yards. Broke in my savage PCS and haven’t decided on this bullet or my 110 Tac tx bullet. Appreciate any info.
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 190 sub ?

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

What are you trying to kill at 100 yards with it?

What velocities are you planning to shoot the two bullets?

Assuming you are deciding between 110 TAC-TX supers and 190 subs, you're going to have a much better hunting round with the 110 grain supers at 100 yards.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I like how whisper quiet these sound. Been reading other forums on using these hog hunting but have my doubts reading about it. When these came out, I talked to hornady inquiring how good for hunting. Was told their test group did good deer hunting with them. Am still skeptical. So figured I would ask around. The 110’s are supers. Can shoot without muffs but I wouldn’t do it all day. I know the 110 Tac tx can do the job if I go that route. Want to do my do my due diligence researching the 190 subs before I rule them out. Have a good stash of commercial 190 subs plus a few boxes of pills to reload if I decide to. Have thought about reloading above subsonic (around 1500 fps) for a bit more umph. Not as loud a crack as full loads. Not sure if these could stay together at full power. For now, just doing some research. Thanks for replying.
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

I agree with the above comments. I hunt feral hogs with a 300BLK and initially thought I would use subsonics. They're not as quiet as Hollywood makes them out to be, and they definitely carry less energy than supersonics. I'm now using 110 grain Hornady SP bullets with a suppressor, and that seems to work pretty well for me. My maximum range is probably 125 yards, with most shots being less than 100 yards.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

So did you try the 190 subs on hogs?
der Teufel

Post by der Teufel »

bearcatrp wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 pm So did you try the 190 subs on hogs?
Nope. I shot some subsonics back before the Hornady 190's were available and when I observed that they weren't as quiet as I'd hoped, I switched over to the 110 grain Hornady SP bullets. The energy differential (amount of hurt they impart) is rather significant. Given that the subs weren't really all that silent I went for more stopping power.
I'm basically a meat hunter and I HATE losing a hog because it was able to run off. I want them to drop.
"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject." — John R. Lott
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Ever try 110 V Max?
ReadyAimDuck
Silent But Deadly

Post by ReadyAimDuck »

der Teufel wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:10 pm
Nope. I shot some subsonics back before the Hornady 190's were available and when I observed that they weren't as quiet as I'd hoped, I switched over to the 110 grain Hornady SP bullets. The energy differential (amount of hurt they impart) is rather significant. Given that the subs weren't really all that silent I went for more stopping power.
I'm basically a meat hunter and I HATE losing a hog because it was able to run off. I want them to drop.
Is there a benefit of using quiet subsonic rounds for hunting hogs? Does it not scare them off or something like that? Curious if the folks who are working up subsonic loads for hunting are gaining some advantage that way.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:11 am Is there a benefit of using quiet subsonic rounds for hunting hogs? Does it not scare them off or something like that? Curious if the folks who are working up subsonic loads for hunting are gaining some advantage that way.
No, even a suppressed sub will scare the pigs. Maybe not the pigs in the next pasture, but definitely the ones you're shooting at.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bangbangping wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:36 pm
ReadyAimDuck wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:11 am Is there a benefit of using quiet subsonic rounds for hunting hogs? Does it not scare them off or something like that? Curious if the folks who are working up subsonic loads for hunting are gaining some advantage that way.
No, even a suppressed sub will scare the pigs. Maybe not the pigs in the next pasture, but definitely the ones you're shooting at.

Something about the thumping sound followed by one of the herd either jumping up and running or flopping on the ground and twitching that seems to get everyone all stirred up.

Remember down range, the noise of a super being fired arrives a full second or more behind the bullet at 100 yards.
With a sub, any noise, at any distance arrives before the bullet.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.