self defense ammo for apartments

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

plant.one
Silent But Deadly

self defense ammo for apartments

Post by plant.one »

i know this has probably been covered - but i'm just looking for some input. dont have a ton of time to google/youtube etc

anyway.... i have a close friend whos run into a bit of a personal safety issue. an ex being creepy stalker like type stuff. not good.

anyway, after an incident earlier this week where i ended up spending the night on the couch to help offer a sense of security - and my 300-blkpack was with me - it got me to thinking about over penetration if i'd ended up needing to use it as all i had was barnes 110's. you can hear everything - the walls arent very substantial to say the least, which would eliminate anything thats not an external wall (its a half sub-ground level apt, and not a corner one at that)

i was trying to find some Lehigh 87gr Close quarters, but those are basically unobtanium at the moment. So for now i've got some 110 controlled chaos coming, which i plan to load over h110.

anything else that might be worth considering as a suitable substitute that will come apart violently on impact at Self Defense ranges? I've got some Varmageddon's and some 110 Vmax around. those do concern me a bit since at hunting ranges they're holding togther at blk speeds, but i seem to recall a bit about them being ok at close range stuff.

i suppose if need be i could whip up some 40gr vmax and swap the 5.56 upper on there as well, but thats a bit more difficult as i'd have to wait till i was there (assuming at some point i'm going to need to do so again) to assemble due to length restrictions and that barrel being 1.5" too long with the folder to be CCW carriable in the ride.

likewise i could load up some 115gr xtp's and put the 9mm upper in play... that one's short enough to CCW

and no - toting a shotgun in with some #4 or some such isnt an option. this has to be discrete. which is where my backpack carry comes in.

ideally i'd just rather throw an extra mag into my already assembled kit and go with it. that way i dont have to think about heading home first, etc.

Any input would be appreciated.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
This disclaimer will self destruct in 10 seconds.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Re: self defense ammo for apartments

Post by bearcatrp »

You need to look at minimal expansion of the bullet to decide if a 300 BO will work for you. A subsonic rifle bullet is about the same As a full load pistol as far as velocity is concerned, minus hot loads for pistol. The 9mm would probably be better if your worried about your round going into the neighbors house.
dieselherb

Post by dieselherb »

Maybe a 230 cast lead bullet? Slow as 45 about the same energy, lead maybe not penetrate walls?
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

i dont buy the lack of over penetration with cast lead... those wont really expand.. which means they're gonna carry without hitting something significant. we've shot PC lead into oak at my buddy's place and they carry through 1" rough cut boards.

45 acp will go through 4 standard drywall "walls" - even insulated ones.

https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o- ... ted-walls/

thats why ive been leaning toward higher velocity rounds that are designed to frag on impact.

thankfully it appears that mr.sh!thead seems to have gotten the message after his contact with the authorities in the incident mentioned in my last post. its been more than 2 weeks and no contact from him whatsoever. fingers crossed that it stays that way and all that. but things are looking relatively safe again for my friend.
Reloading info shared is based on experiences w/ my guns. Be safe and work up your loads from published data. Web data may not be accurate/safe.
emmagee1917
Senior Silent Operator

Post by emmagee1917 »

Maker's expanding sub-sonic bullets .
Chris
ThreeHundredBlackout
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThreeHundredBlackout »

Ask Dellet about those maker 85 Gr bullets....... i saw they were in stock the other day.

I was interested myself, but I haven't seen any gel block shots yet
Only Jesus Christ Saves ! ! !
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

From the gel tests I saw on youtube any of the relatively lightweight Maker bullets would turn into a × and stay in the target. I'm hoping the 125s I bought will do supersonic double duty for hunting and home defense. Warm weather is on the doorstep so I'll be able to get out to test things soon.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

I don't know if you've found your solution yet, but I had a similar need and this is what I did...

There's a thread on the forum re: Maker 85 grain copper bullets. I found the terminal ballistics very interesting and you might also.

To limit overpenetration I'm loading them to 2300fps (give or take). Find that thread for all of this to make sense.
(here it is) viewtopic.php?f=128&t=109552&p=1008517& ... 5#p1008517

Near as I can tell Maker lists all of their bullets as being "out of stock". But any time I've ever placed an order they've shipped in hours.
plant.one
Silent But Deadly

Post by plant.one »

thanks, but the solution wasnt found before the problem made itself a not-problem anymore. so i pretty much abandoned the issue.

thanks though, the feedback on the makers is appreciated.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Just curious, has the vermin (of whatever species) moved on? No need to get specific. It might have been a squirrel in the cupboard for all we know and that's all we need to know.

FWIW, I live in the lowest crime state and in one of the lowest crime areas in that state, and I keep ammo for "circumstances" locked and loaded. And I have no reason to think anyone is targeting me. No paranoia, just normal readiness.