Hornady 300 Blackout 208gr. Amax Subsonic ammo not consistently subsonic?

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

300black
Silent Operator

Hornady 300 Blackout 208gr. Amax Subsonic ammo not consistently subsonic?

Post by 300black »

So, I've shot Remington, Sig Sauer, and Lellier & Bellot subsonic ammo and it has all been subsonic. I bought some Hornady 300 Blackout 208gr. Amax subsonic ammo on sale and shot some and I'd say that the majority of it is not subsonic.

I wasn't sure if it was just me so I loaded my Ruger American Ranch Rifle with my Sig Sauer suppressor on it with 1/2 Hornady and 1/2 Sig Sauer subsonic ammo and shot it with my friend. The Sig Sauer was definitely quiet while the Hornady appeared to not be subsonic.

Anyone else having this problem?
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Re: Hornady 300 Blackout 208gr. Amax Subsonic ammo not consistently subsonic?

Post by dellet »

Knowing temp and velocity would be helpful.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

dellet wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:39 pm Knowing temp and velocity would be helpful.

Temps were about 70's, no idea on velocity.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

300black wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 am
dellet wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:39 pm Knowing temp and velocity would be helpful.

At 70, they will start cracking around 1125 fps. That’s pretty fast for a “subsonic round”, but I’m pretty sure that Remington got tired of complaints and their ammo no longer has Subsonic anywhere on the box. I know it was gone a couple years ago.

A lot of factory ammo is just plain loud and unless you’re shooting past 50 yards, it can be hard to hear the crack over the muzzle noise even with a good suppressor. Just not enough flight time.

I will say it’s pretty hard to find ammo louder than Remington, so it wouldn’t surprise me that the Hornady might be going super if it was louder.

If you have a place you can do it safely, it can be interesting to shoot supers suppressed starting at 5 yards from the berm and see how far you have to back up before you can actually identify a sonic crack.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
300black
Silent Operator

Post by 300black »

dellet wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:37 am
300black wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:13 am

At 70, they will start cracking around 1125 fps. That’s pretty fast for a “subsonic round”, but I’m pretty sure that Remington got tired of complaints and their ammo no longer has Subsonic anywhere on the box. I know it was gone a couple years ago.

A lot of factory ammo is just plain loud and unless you’re shooting past 50 yards, it can be hard to hear the crack over the muzzle noise even with a good suppressor. Just not enough flight time.

I will say it’s pretty hard to find ammo louder than Remington, so it wouldn’t surprise me that the Hornady might be going super if it was louder.

If you have a place you can do it safely, it can be interesting to shoot supers suppressed starting at 5 yards from the berm and see how far you have to back up before you can actually identify a sonic crack.

Ah. Thanks.

The Remington subsonics have been some of the best and most reliable for me.