300 Blackout Ammo Shortage

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

harveydane

300 Blackout Ammo Shortage

Post by harveydane »

Ive been watching the availability of online 300 blackout ammo rapidly decline over the past few weeks. Is this the next 22lr shortage?? I use Ammobuy.com (Ammunition Search Engine) as my gauge. they had over 60 listings a week ago and now only down to 17 listings: --> 300 Blackout Ammo
rlandry6
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300 Blackout Ammo Shortage

Post by rlandry6 »

Good argument for rolling your own.
Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
ArmedInfidel
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

rlandry6 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:58 pm Good argument for rolling your own.
That’s even getting hard to find.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

You guys need to come out of your basement for air, everything is sucked into the great black hole. Primers, powder, ammo and firearms. This started around 3 months ago and the riots ramped it up. If you are not set up for these shortages, suck it up and plan for the next one. This one is like nothing I have ever seen.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

I crawled out this afternoon, thought I would run to town and grab a case of magnum pistol primers. Guess I should of paid more attention to the gun forum online shoppers.

I don’t buy on line unless a local can’t order what I want for me. In times like this it pays off. Today I asked for a case of Remington 5 1/2’s. He handed me 2000 and the argument started over whether he would take payment for the other 3000. I wanted them at today’s price if I paid today. He did not want to commit to being able to get them at any price.

. Pretty sure I will be picking up the rest of the case before I shoot these up.

It’s amazing what a little customer loyalty can buy. I never pay HazMat, rarely pay more than 5% over some of the best online deals before shipping. Locals gets first crack, if they can’t get it, then I hit the web. Part of the trick is planing ahead and not panic buying.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

dellet wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:43 am I crawled out this afternoon, thought I would run to town and grab a case of magnum pistol primers. Guess I should of paid more attention to the gun forum online shoppers.

I don’t buy on line unless a local can’t order what I want for me. In times like this it pays off. Today I asked for a case of Remington 5 1/2’s. He handed me 2000 and the argument started over whether he would take payment for the other 3000. I wanted them at today’s price if I paid today. He did not want to commit to being able to get them at any price.

. Pretty sure I will be picking up the rest of the case before I shoot these up.

It’s amazing what a little customer loyalty can buy. I never pay HazMat, rarely pay more than 5% over some of the best online deals before shipping. Locals gets first crack, if they can’t get it, then I hit the web. Part of the trick is planing ahead and not panic buying.
Customer loyalty means the world to me.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
BJK
Silent But Deadly

Post by BJK »

Customer loyalty... For my 300BO build I went to the local manufacturer. During the discussion regarding the ordering of parts the lower was mentioned and how hard they were to get. But I persuaded him to part with one that can't be replaced until the spring, or at least that's what I remember him saying. If they didn't know me so well I'd still be looking for one.

As dellet wrote, business goes to the local source first, then if they can't help I go to the 'net.

Not a big item, but I'm not very much in like with the arm brace I have on the handgun. I can't put my finger on the reason, I just don't. I might SBR it but in the meantime I want an adjustable arm brace. It wasn't available locally, so I found one online (KAK blade). I hated paying $10 shipping for a $40 item, but that's the way it goes. There's a economic reason for buying locally too. The shipping charge is generally shared among many items and the pain isn't quite as much.
Dr.Phil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dr.Phil »

rebel wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:02 pm You guys need to come out of your basement for air, everything is sucked into the great black hole. Primers, powder, ammo and firearms. This started around 3 months ago and the riots ramped it up. If you are not set up for these shortages, suck it up and plan for the next one. This one is like nothing I have ever seen.
Buy it cheap and stack it deep!!!

I haven't ever purchased any commercial 300 BLK ammo though...
Only factory stuff I've shot was provided to me for testing.
A side effect from being an accidental early adopter. :roll:

FWIW,
My personal rules are to never allow any caliber of ammo drop bellow 1K round reserve levels.
As for reloading supplies, I get with my shooting partner to build large group orders every year or so.
This allows me to keep enough components on hand to stay busy.
For load development / experimentation, I hit my LGS and pay the premium.

I'm all about supporting local business / LGS. (I ran a small business for 7 years.)
My customers would stay as loyal as their wallet would allow.
When online prices were often lower than our cost, I could hardly blame them.
Bottom line, you are paying for knowledge, support, and convenience.
When you don't require any of these, online shopping is prudent.
YMMV...
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly,
don't tell them where they know the fish."
--Mark Twain
TRshootem
Silent But Deadly

Post by TRshootem »

One of our local shops treats me very well when I buy powder and primers. There are items such as bulk cast/coated pistol bullets that I purchase online as well as stuff just not stocked locally. Heck, I still have magnum pistol primers from the 70's that am still trying to use up (marked .79/100). They work very well for BLK subs.