Best ammo grain for impact/penetration

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

ThatDude

Best ammo grain for impact/penetration

Post by ThatDude »

Alright I've done some reading and this is what I've gathered so far

80G - 180G = supersonic
180G - 200+G = subsonic

I'm wanting max impact on target + good penetration. This will be backup/travel gun so i want hard hitting freedom seeds for those in need even if their hiding behind a car door, etc.

I'm thinking hollow supers in 1st mag followed by subsonic fmj in 2nd mag?

Thoughts?
Gyrkin
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best ammo grain for impact/penetration

Post by Gyrkin »

Any 300 Blackout load will go through a car door like a hot knife through butter. Car doors won't even stop .22 rounds.
BlogSarge
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best ammo grain for impact/penetration

Post by BlogSarge »

Subs are great if you need the quietness of suppressed. If not, then I’d go for supers for the velocity and flatter trajectory.

The ‘original’ blackout defense/hunting load is the Barnes 100gr blacktip which is still wonderful. They make it in 120gr also if you want a bit more mass.

The 150gr Gold Dot is showing itself to be a superb performer, but factory ammo is not readily available.

Maker makes ammo from 85gr up to 220 and their product has a great reputation, too.

I always get excited and try the new loads, but always return to the 110gr blacktip. It is a proven performer and, as far as I know, is the only load that has been put through the FBI testing protocol. It excelled in that.

Like gyrkin said, car doors aren’t too much of a problem. Laminated windshield glass, though, is brutal on bullets. The solid copper bullets and bonded bullets do best through windshields.

So, get several loads that look good and see which ones do the best in your articular gun. Then buy more of that and practice.

In the end, it matters more that you place the bullets well.