Sierra #4625 Tipped Game King

Moderators: gds, bakerjw, renegade

OlongJohnson

Post by OlongJohnson »

Did multiple searches and found zero results, presenting the possibility that awareness of this option has escaped the hive mind here. Or maybe the search function isn't that great on this site.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/3 ... 25-gr-tgk/

Online prices for the bullets are less than the similar TMKs.

I asked Sierra CS about the factory loaded ammo...
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/3 ... k-b-c-298/

...and was told, "The bullet was designed specificaaly for the 300 AAC Blackout. Feed and function has been very good. Test barrel length was 16” with Muzzel [sic] Velocity of 2115 fps."

This is one of the few factory loads that seems to be quality that I can find in stock for <$1/rd right now.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... -20-rounds

On the face of it, it seems like a good option that may shake out on par or better than a 125 SST.

Has anyone tested with this stuff? Do we just not like it? Did Sierra not do a good job promoting it? It seems to be a fairly new product - maybe it's just not out in distribution in a lot of places yet.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sierra #4625 Tipped Game King

Post by bearcatrp »

Until I see at least a gel test, I will stick to Barnes 110 Tac Tx. The sig 120 looks like a good round though. Haven’t tried it though.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019078170
blaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by blaster »

looks good. I would try them but they are more expensive than the SST bullets that I have had excellent real world results with.
peace through superior firepower
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

Buy some and test them, to let us know how it goes.
dellet
Silent But Deadly

Post by dellet »

bearcatrp wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:21 pm Buy some and test them, to let us know how it goes.
:shock:
Just as soon as you buy some of the Sig ammo and test that.

Or any of the others bullets you have wanted other people to provide test results for.
300 Blackout, not just for sub-sonics.
rebel
Silent But Deadly

Post by rebel »

OlongJohnson wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:16 am Did multiple searches and found zero results, presenting the possibility that awareness of this option has escaped the hive mind here. Or maybe the search function isn't that great on this site.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/3 ... 25-gr-tgk/

Online prices for the bullets are less than the similar TMKs.

I asked Sierra CS about the factory loaded ammo...
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/3 ... k-b-c-298/

...and was told, "The bullet was designed specificaaly for the 300 AAC Blackout. Feed and function has been very good. Test barrel length was 16” with Muzzel [sic] Velocity of 2115 fps."

This is one of the few factory loads that seems to be quality that I can find in stock for <$1/rd right now.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... -20-rounds

On the face of it, it seems like a good option that may shake out on par or better than a 125 SST.

Has anyone tested with this stuff? Do we just not like it? Did Sierra not do a good job promoting it? It seems to be a fairly new product - maybe it's just not out in distribution in a lot of places yet.
I'm a dealer and haven't been able to lay my hands on a box of these. In the meantime I have sold gobs of the 150 gr. Gold Dot. I'll have to test it or see it tested from someone I know before I'd say it could whoop the 125 SST. Hope it does, means the caliber is gaining ground yet again and driving mfg. to make specific components.
You can't beat the mountain, pilgrim. Mountains got its own way.
bearcatrp
Silent But Deadly

Post by bearcatrp »

I’ll pass on this bullet after Sierra answered my email about minimum fps for expansion, which they stated 1800 fps.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Bumping this up in case anyone has additional info.

Apparently I've been asleep for the last year or so and didn't know these existed. Given the limited options these days, it might be nice to have another choice for a purpose-built 300 BLK hunting bullet that is actually available.

Anybody test this bullet yet? If not I may give it a go.
bangbangping
Silent But Deadly

Post by bangbangping »

Well, hmmmm....

I wanted to test the 1800 fps minimum expansion claim, so I ran this one into gel within 5 fps of 1800.

The main part of the jacket came loose at about 9", made a right turn, and nearly exited at about 12". The core continued on to about 22". The core weighs in at ~77 grains and it doesn't appear that much if any lead is missing.

I fired another one at about 1725 fps but lost the bullet. It didn't leave anything but the green tip behind.

I may try again both slower and faster, but it will be at least a few weeks. For now, I'm not very impressed.
OasisBEE8

Post by OasisBEE8 »

I checked out the link, and you're right, the prices do seem reasonable, especially compared to similar bullets. The fact that it's specifically designed for the 300 AAC Blackout and functions well with a 16" barrel is definitely intriguing. It's interesting how some great products fly under the radar, isn't it?

And it's intriguing to see a factory load designed specifically for the 300 AAC Blackout. The price point is definitely appealing, especially when most things are skyrocketing in cost these days. I took a look at their product page, and it seems like a promising choice. The velocity and design for this cartridge seem on point. Have you had a chance to test it out? I'm curious to hear about the real-world performance from someone who's tried it. Not too long ago I came across a bingo online game in the same way. As it seemed to me it is a good alternative to many games. I think that you could also explore this direction of games. Sometimes, great products just need a little community love to get the recognition they deserve.